I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

customer dilema
Posted by: Ed Husted (---.ip-5-196-31.eu)
Date: June 19, 2015 10:37AM

I have a customer that I have built two custom rods for. He broke the first one under mysterious circumstances and I replaced it for him. Then he broke it again and I replaced that one. It has been ok since then. Teh second one I built for him he also broke and I had to replace that one. But now he wants me to build him a third rod and I am leery about it. I think I know where this is going and I am going to end up having to replace it at some point down the road on my dime. This is getting expensive. When I told him that I really did not want to build him another, he said if I did not he would badmouth me on the local fishing forums. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place. Any suggestions appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: customer dilema
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2015 10:45AM

Too many business people feel that they must make every sale, when in reality, there are some sales you don't want to make. While it's important to be fair to consumers and do what you can to satisfy them, the instant you learn that what you're gaining is going to be more headache than sale, you would be foolish to make that sale. Most everybody in the business community has a small percentage of individuals they refuse to do business with - and depending on the situation, that's a good way to do business. If you ran a restaurant and had a customer who came in to eat every week, then promptly left and went around telling everybody how bad your food was, how long would you keep serving him?

Obviously at this point you know what you're dealing with. Two rods built, two rods broken and replaced on your dime. Good customer service on your end. But at this point you have a pattern showing itself, not to mention that the customer has issued what amounts to a business threat - which would cause me to send him packing right then and there. Cut the guy loose, let him say what he wants, do not respond, and eventually people that know him or your other satisfied customers will set the record straight. You're not losing a sale - you're saving yourself a gigantic headache.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: June 19, 2015 11:15AM

I had a customer like that once. didn't want to pay the quoted price for a repair. vetched about paying and that I overcharged him. He was about a hour away and said he was going to bad mouth me at one of the local shop near him. I told him "no problem, while you are there say hi to all the Fred and the rest of the gang. In fact I'll meet you there so you can get your rod". He didn't realize I knew the guys at the shop since it was out of my area.
This could be a great advertising opportunity. go to those same forums that he is threatening to go to and post up some of you work ahead of his rants.

Posted by: phil ayers (50.58.79.---)
Date: June 19, 2015 12:49PM

I am not a rod builder but I am working on it. But I have been around the block a couple times. You have given him great customer service to this point. If I had someone build me two rods and broke them both thinking it's the builders fault I would not want him to build me another rod. It is time to cut your tie's with this guy, talking crap on a fishing board don't define you but it does define him if he tells the truth. Phil Ayers

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 19, 2015 02:03PM

Ed, the old saying " know your customer" probably holds true in this case. I don't know how many times someone has tried to get me to build a rod for there friend, without me knowing or meeting the customer. I treat gifts for family different than new customers. That being said, I always interview a new customer so they uinderstand just what they are getting and more-so I try to understand the customers fishing habits.
Some customers are just brutes. I have a very good customer that sets the hook so hard, I can here him grunt two counties away. It makes me cringe.
From experience I learned to add afew more guides to his rods to better distribute the load.
I am not taking the customers side at all, but if both rods broke in the same place, I might be a little curious of the blank. And I know the customers attitude isn't helping matters.
Stick to your guns, review your procedures, check with other customers, if they are behind you, i'm sure they will back you up on any negative statments this customer posts.
I think I speak for the entire rodbuilding community that we are behind you. E.P. Horvath

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2015 02:15PM

Wow. He sounds like a class act! Im just a hobby builder but im a carpentry contractor and deal with customers on a daily basis. Customers like this pop up from time to time. Youve gone the extra mile offering excellent service. Politely send him packing. Ignore the threats and more than likely people on the boards will see his true colors. OR quote him triple $$ on this next rod and youll never hear from him againLOL..... joking....

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 19, 2015 05:23PM

Hi Matt,

You might be joking but it is an excellent idea. Yes, triple the price as being the builder you can charge what ever you want. The buyer either accepts the price of goes away. Look at the extra cost as an insurance policy.

Ed, why did you not tell the owner it was his responsibility to send the blank back to the factory as they warrantee the blank..Let the factory tell him the damage was due to severe stress or they can send him a new blank. You are out of the loop. If he gets a new blank you can decide how much to charge him for the rebuild. At the very least you do not have to pay for a new blank.

Here is a solution. Have a sign very prominent in the shop that says all broken rods will be replaced by solid fiberglass blanks/rods!

This is a problem I have with the rod building community. Where does it state that we have to replace a broken rod with a new one for FREE! As a group we do too much for our customers. Yes, I am guilty as much as anyone. Probably because I like my customers. It is a two way street. Once the person pays for the rod it is his responsibility unless it is a factory defect or we screwed up.

My warrantee is this, If the factory replaces your blank I will rebuild a new basic rod for 1/2 the normal labor rate plus cost of components. My customers accept and say thank you.

I do teach my customers that the preferred way to fight a fish is between 3 and 5 o'clock on the clock dial. No high sticking! Either net the fish of grab the leader if you can. Teach they about hoop strength, they have no idea. They have no idea how easy these new light weight blanks can break.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 20, 2015 10:30AM

You are responsible for your workmanship and quality, not the blanks. Like mentioned above, have him make his plea to the blank manufacturer. One boken blank while fishing is a unhappy misfortune...two broken blanks while fishing is shear stupidity!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.0.---)
Date: June 20, 2015 01:57PM

You don't want this guy at triple the cost or at any cost. Consider this a lesson learned, refuse the build, and move on. You don't need any semblance of responsibility for anything with this guy any more.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 20, 2015 02:22PM

You have already lost money playing with this guy
Walk away You could loose more ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2015 03:52PM

Since he wants you to build a rod, or get bad mouthed, I would build the rod for him. However, before taking the order, have him sign a document which states that there will be 0 warranty of any kind on the rod, blank or any other part of the rod.

That way, when he breaks the rod, he can have another one built if he wishes at his cost.

p.s.
For several clients in the past who have broken a rod, due to negligence on their part, get their rods "Repaired" by me at no cost. Unless the rod is totally destroyed, most rods can be quite easily and quickly destroyed.

I don't build them a new rod, but I do repair the initial rod.

Depending on the spot where the rod broke, it may have very little effect n the fishing ability of the rod.

Take care

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2015 04:49PM

If I were in the same position as the OP, there is no way I would build this guy another rod, and I'd also tell him not to bother bringing back any of the rods I had already built for him, if he has a problem with them.

As Michael just recently said, you don't want this guy at any cost.

If you're worried about him bad mouthing you on a fishing forum, or even in tournament circles if he happens to fish tournaments, I wouldn't be worried about that either. I've been a member of a fishing forum for some time, and have been fishing tournaments for more than 20 years. I can assure you that people in the circles this guy frequents, know the type of person he is. I doubt few, if any, actually listen to him, or respect what he has to say.

Cut your ties and let your none idiot customers be your word of mouth advertising.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 21, 2015 01:21PM

Ed

If he insists on you making another rod then think about this, quote him a ridiculously high price ( then you fix it on his dime) and if he balks tell him that he is a bad risk. Remind him if one has many auto accidents eventually the insurance companies will drop them as a "bad risk" and if they do get insurance the premiums are outrageous.

That should discourage him, if not and you are still reluctant to deal with him then.... tell him "nothing personal" but " I DON'T THINK I CAN MAKE YOU HAPPY" therefore I suggest you find someone who can and send him on his way.

As far as bad mouthing goes FORGET ABOUT IT! Satisfied customers do not take any stock in it and potential buyers come from referrals or those who have seen your work.

Good Luck

John

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 21, 2015 01:53PM

"Bad mouthing on forums'" = Let him go that route. If your work is sound other customers will know it & may well defend you. You 'take the high road" on the forums.. ignore any trashy comments. Offer to find him a different builder & move on/

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: June 21, 2015 02:08PM

Ed, your work speaks for itself. As for your customer, that's why they make Ugly Stix.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2015 06:53PM

Ed
After reading these posts What do you think

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2015 12:19PM

Ed
Go ahead and build him another rod. But, when the rod is delivered, let him know that if the rod breaks that you will be happy to repair or replace it for $500.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster