I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

AT frame guides for stripper
Posted by: Andrew Clark (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: May 28, 2015 09:02AM

I want to do a spinning rod build on a 6'8" ML blank. Can I use the single footed Fuji TATSG guides for the stripper and reduction guides then the runners with small L frame guides? Sizing will go like this 16 (TATSG) 10 (TATSG) 7 (TLSG) 5 (TLSG)x5 then tip top.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AT frame guides for stripper
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 28, 2015 09:27AM

You can certainly choose the AT if it's your guide of choice. If this was a 6ft Ultra Light spinner for crappie or hatchery trout my endorsement might be a little more robust. A 6'8" ML blank generates pretty good power and is capable of catching much larger fish. We use the 6'9"MLXF Point Blank for slot reds up to 6 or 7 lbs and it's capable of more. I would not want an AT guide train for that task, opting instead for a KL or KL-H train in most cases. Still, if you have particular need in mind, the AT might be the way to go. It is the lightest possible frame design out there.

Date: May 28, 2015 09:32AM

Thanks. It will be for finesse bass fishing. I pretty much just wanted to get the build as light as possible.

Date: May 28, 2015 09:40AM

Jim Ising Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can certainly choose the AT if it's your guide
> of choice. If this was a 6ft Ultra Light spinner
> for crappie or hatchery trout my endorsement might
> be a little more robust. A 6'8" ML blank generates
> pretty good power and is capable of catching much
> larger fish. We use the 6'9"MLXF Point Blank for
> slot reds up to 6 or 7 lbs and it's capable of
> more. I would not want an AT guide train for that
> task, opting instead for a KL or KL-H train in
> most cases. Still, if you have particular need in
> mind, the AT might be the way to go. It is the
> lightest possible frame design out there.

How does that blank hold up to its lure rating? Will it thrown down to 1/16 oz?

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 28, 2015 11:07AM

Jim,

What would you consider a typical TATSG / TLSG might consist of for a 6' UL build with a 500 series reel?

Is there a lighter guide train planned in torzite ring material?

Date: May 28, 2015 12:30PM

POINT Blanks are very hi mod and the inherent stiffness is something anyone using one of these blanks has to become accustomed to. The answer is yes, it will do a good job with a 16th oz but I would prefer the 6'6"LF built with a size 16 KL-H stripper. Very light and stronger than the AT frame design.

John I don't use many AT's but a 16, 8 would be where I would start (and probably end) with the reduction train. The only way to get lighter than the KL-H Titanium TORZITE would be to have the AT in TORZITE and we have heard no plans to offer it. The real weight savings are coming from the height of the guides with a much smaller ring on top. And the option to go a full frame size smaller on runners while keeping the same ID with TORZITE.

Date: June 01, 2015 06:02AM

Jim,

Could I use the same setup you were talking about on my rod? Like a 16h stripper then an 8h then the runners?

Date: June 01, 2015 09:40AM

Absolutely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster