I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Muskie Rod Blanks
Posted by: Marie Simmer (74.42.212.---)
Date: May 24, 2015 10:43PM

Have been searching for a Muskie Baitcasting Rod blank 8' med heavy. Found an MHX but not many other options. Hoping you guys can help me find what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Muskie Rod Blanks
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2015 11:22PM

Marie,
You can check with Thorne Brothers in Minneapolis. They carry their own design Predator rods that are made for them by St. Croix. Really excellent blanks.

Take care

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 25, 2015 01:43AM

Marie, What size baits are you looking at throwing? Or will this be a trolling rod? Again what size baits with trolling weight size if one is used? A blank doesn't have to say muskie in the title to make a Great Muskie blank. Action, Line weight, Lure weight, Rod Length, Line them all up to your liking and you should have your perfect blank. Why buy what a manufacturer thinks is the perfect Muskie blank for you?. I tried that years ago, That's why I build what I want, Just saying. Tight lines and have fun! Jaa

Posted by: Marie Simmer (74.42.212.---)
Date: May 25, 2015 08:02AM

I understand that the blank doesn't have to say it is a musky blank. Throwing crank baits...no trolling. Just looking for something in the mid ranges for weight..

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.relaybm.bell.ca)
Date: May 25, 2015 12:40PM

I built the MU96H MHX last year. It is rated for crankbaits 2 - 6 oz.
It lied...It's a good med.heavy 2 -3 oz. bucktail, spinnerbait rod, but nowhere near heavy enough for Sledges or 5 or 6 ounce body baits.
It has been said before that many Asian rod blanks are rated about one strength higher than the North American standard, so it is with these blanks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2015 12:42PM

You can also take a look at Lamiglass

Garry

Thanks for that info So I guess i can figure they are Underrated Hmmmm

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 01:05PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 25, 2015 03:26PM

Lami's are WAY over-rated. They won't handle anywhere near their weight rating.

However, they are one of my favorite musky blanks and would be a perfect choice for this application. Get the 8' XH. It will work great for crank baits and it will throw down to 3/4 oz. I typically use mine for 1-3 oz baits.

Jeremy

Date: May 25, 2015 03:40PM

Then why the HECK do companies make a blank and then state it Overrate to what it will throw in lure weight ?????????

Has anyone used these blanks and can tell

Maybe Lami and MudHole will step in here I would love to hear from them

Not that I don't beleve things said on this board --- But ya got to be careful

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 03:46PM by bill boettcher.

Date: May 25, 2015 06:22PM

Bill,

Do you have anything meaningful to contribute or are you just here to rant? Calm down there big guy.

I know what I'm talking about, muskie rods are 95% of my business. If you want to get upset with someone over rod ratings, go to the people who rate them. I build/use them on an almost daily basis so very familiar with what certain blanks will and will not do. Lami's are well known to be very over-rated on lure weights. The XH's barely handle 4 oz and won't come even close to their 8 oz rating. St Croix, on the other hand, is well known for under-rating their musky blanks. They will all handle a significant amount more weight than what is listed. If you don't like that info, that's tough. Facts are facts.

Jeremy

Date: May 25, 2015 06:32PM

I did not read it all
BUT
Lamiglass is Underated ???
They are one of the top companies that make blanks ???
I just get Upset when a company states 6 OZ and only is able to thought 3 - Sorry

Who The Heck Can One Trust !!!! This does not get you upset ????
What happens when you get a blank for one of your friends - or a customer -- and it does not not PERFORM as it is said to as to lure weight

Do you eat it

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 06:37PM by bill boettcher.

Date: May 25, 2015 06:41PM

No problem Bill. Yes, Lami blanks are very over-rated meaning they won't handle anywhere near the lure weights that are spec'd for them. Like I said above, I love their blanks, they're great for certain applications, the quality is outstanding and they are very light weight.

I admit it doesn't make me happy but there's nothing I can do about it. To be honest, extensive knowledge of blanks and their true ratings gives one an edge over other builders who go by specs listed in catalogs and then end up with unhappy customers.

Jeremy

Date: May 25, 2015 07:31PM

OK
I have read a lot of posts that have stated there blanks were rated for say 5 OZ and builders have used 6 pluss

So now you are saying a blank rated at 6 will only handle 3 ???

I will wait till builders come back from Barbacues and fishing to see what comes

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 25, 2015 09:31PM

I don't know any builders or fishermen who think the Lami musky blanks can handle the lures they are spec'd for. Wait as long as you want.

Also, don't miss-quote me. I said they are rated for 8 oz and they will barely handle 4 oz. It's hard to discuss facts with someone who can't remember (or read them).

jeremy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 09:33PM by Jeremy Wagner.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 26, 2015 07:12AM

I build a LOT of musky rods. You need to check out Pac Bay's T2MC965 and T2MC967 - some of the best musky blanks out there. Yes - the Lami blanks do not handle what they are rated for, but they are nice blanks for lighter baits.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: May 26, 2015 12:20PM

Hey Marc,
Thanks for the endorsement! Folks, Marc is being modest by not mentioning that the blanks he listed were developed and refined under the heavy influence of his input. He is also the primary reason behind us developing the new T2MC1067 (T2 MATTE GREY IM6 MUSKY CAST 8'10" HEAVY) which will be arriving soon.

Also, I know that I'll sound like a broken record, but use of the Common Cents System could make the lure weight rating problem go away. An accepted correlation between a blank's/rod's intrinsic power measurement and lure weight would be nice and objective. For example, the T2MC1067 has an IP of 2250g (forget converting to ERN for blanks this heavy) which makes it a beast compared to most freshwater blanks. Marc and other musky rod builders could assign what they and their clients thought were good lure weight ranges for this and other musky blanks of varying IP values and build a frame of reference that would make selecting the right musky blank for an intended lure weight range a no brainer. Am I dreaming?

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 26, 2015 05:18PM

You could look around for the RainShadow "IMU" series.. It has been a great series for us. Unfortunately it was discountiued, but you should be able to look at our distributor list for stock. Probably wonderfully priced as well since being discontinued.

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.2.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 01, 2015 07:59PM

I believe Kevin at GetBit still has a bunch of the disco'd IMU series from Rainshadow like Ryan stated.

Posted by: Doug Goar (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 28, 2015 06:31PM

Interesting topic. I'm new on this board so here goes. I'm going to build a trolling rod for a dual purpose. King Macks here in Pensacola Florida and Musky when I take my annual trip to Northern Minnesota & Canada. I found a blank that I think I want to work off from and I'd appreciate any input. The blank is made by United Composites and is a GUSA DHX US85 Monster. Specs are 8'6" long, MOD action, 30-60 line weight, 1 piece, 1-8 oz lure weights, 8.5 tip, and .800 butt. It will be matched with a Penn 321 GT2 or a Penn Senator 113H as the reel. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster