I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pacbay nylon candyapple thread?
Posted by: larry roby (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2015 06:13PM

I have a spool of this and want to try my hand at
candyapple wrapping. this is not ncp.
should I use a silver or gold under wrapping.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pacbay nylon candyapple thread?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2015 11:30PM

Is it metallic or just nylon?

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 25, 2015 03:52AM

i think either would look pretty cool. it depends on your sense of aesthetic. the gold would have a warmer glow, the silver a nice cool glow. try test wraps on the portion of the blank which will be hidden once you install the grip. if you don't have the time to apply a coat of finish or don't want to waste it, i think soaking the threads in water would give a good estimate.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: May 25, 2015 04:08AM

thanks eric.the gold I have is dark.do you still think it'll reflect t through the red?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2015 09:52AM

Always do a test wrap and soak it with DNA to give a very good feel for its final appearance. It only takes a few minutes to do a test wrap and then you will know for sure.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: May 25, 2015 01:40PM

Alcohol can destroy metallic thread and cause early fading of thread. As a general practice, it would be better to use water for testing.

Also consider that the guide feet may show through your nylon overwrap. Guide frame color may be a consideration or your metallic thread could over wrap the guide feet.

Do not forget to evaluate your test wraps in bright sunlight.

Don Becker

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2015 01:58PM

Don is on the money You are going to fish the rod - in sunlight - so check finish - colors everything in sunlight I have seen things under light bulbs where they are not there in the sun

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 25, 2015 10:59PM

very good point ty

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 26, 2015 09:46AM

I recently did an experiment using 1/4-inch chrome pinstripe from Auto Zone. Used it as an underwrap with an Ultra Poly blue on top. It REALLY popped the blue, giving it a sort of "glow" I haven't seen from a thread underwrap. Can't speak to the long term results but see no reason it should change over time.

Posted by: larry roby (216.4.56.---)
Date: May 26, 2015 04:07PM

doin a gold based candy apple and a silver based candy apple
on a bamboo skewer.They look the same at the moment.
I'll have to check in 24 hr and look outside

Posted by: Chuck Blocker (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2015 06:31PM

I seem lost here, can someone explain what is candy apple wrapping?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 26, 2015 08:16PM

Hello Jim.

Try it with that shiny holographic tape then your blue!

Chuck back in the 50's and 60's a lot of hotrods were painted with a painting process called candy-apple, where you take an opaque silver or gold on the bottom and a translucent color on top, gold & red= candy-apple red, the gold gives a warmer and slightly darker color than the silver.

If I'm wrong someone will set me straight but I think I remember it right.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: May 26, 2015 09:19PM

I'm starting to believe my thread did not turn translucent
this thread isn't supposed to have color preserver.Y100A-CA.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2015 05:05PM

Also when a car is painted to get a candy color --- there is a base color
Use any red and without CP regular nylon ( light ) finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2015 06:24AM

Larry,

from a google search, Y100A-CA appears to be Pacific Bay's regular nylon thread. it is not their Stay True thread, so there should be a translucence to it assuming you used it alone and not with some type of color preserver. one thing i would suggest is not use bamboo skewers. they are so small in diameter it would not approximate the look of a rod blank well, and because of its small size, would not reflect the same way as something akin in size to a blank. try 1/4 or 3/8 inch wood dowel material. i'm just grasping at straws/skewers/dowels here.

as to your previous question (which i missed since i've been gone)... dark gold? i can't imagine it. in my experience, gold is gold unless it's antique gold which is a tad darker than regular gold in my experience. are you using gold metallic thread? wait, i now see pac bay offers gold and a version called "old gold." one is darker, but i wouldn't call it dark gold. maybe you're using something else. either of pac bay's golds seem like they would work though the regular gold would seem to sparkle most to me. i've only tried something like this years ago, using spring green thread over silver metallic thread. it worked pretty well (though my wrapping skills were horrible back then). i should have tried gold underneath. :)

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster