I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winn grip install
Posted by: Clyde Galvin (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 21, 2015 07:50PM

I'm going to put my first set of Winn grip on my 7' rod . I'm looking for a few suggestions on how to install the bottom grip it is 10 " with a rounded but need to figure out the best way to install it on the blank . Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2015 07:40AM by Clyde Galvin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winn grip install
Posted by: Joe Moriarity - Custom Fly Grips LLC (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: May 22, 2015 08:36AM

If you mean that you need to bore it out to fit your rod butt, do an internet search for flexcoat pilot bit. I am sure that many of the sponsors on the left carry the bit. Unfortunately we do not yet.

Joe Moriarity
Director Of Operations
Custom Fly Grips LLC
[www.customflygrips.com]
[www.facebook.com]
joe@customflygrips.com

Posted by: keith edmunds (217.33.154.---)
Date: May 22, 2015 08:23PM

I have just built my fourth rod and, for ease, have used Winn grips on all - 2 x split grip and 2 x full grip. I have simply used epoxy but with Tourstar grips you can use double sided tape in the same way that golfers replace their club handles - I assume (but not sure) that you could use same process for Winn?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2015 09:51PM

TourStar grips were made, I believe, by Winn.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2015 09:06AM

I would not trust dubble sided tape If it gets wet the grip may loosen up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott A Randall (---.lightspeed.tulsok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2015 02:08PM

Had a seminar done at the michigan rod builders gathering in April and they actually recommend the double sided tape

Date: May 23, 2015 02:30PM

I don't understand that but hay I would think rod bond just like any grip would be better with a rod that could and does get wet

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 23, 2015 03:03PM

when you put on grips make it permanent [ any grip ] ,no tape to hold it, can dry out or soften up by water or bug spray oil what ever, even sweet getting in there , unless it is just for show only then who cares , show only , not for work [ fishing ] what I think

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: keith edmunds (217.33.154.---)
Date: May 23, 2015 06:45PM

william G Sidney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> when you put on grips make it permanent [ any
> grip ] ,no tape to hold it, can dry out or
> soften up by water or bug spray oil what ever,
> even sweet getting in there , unless it is just
> for show only then who cares , show only , not
> for work [ fishing ] what I think

That is why I used epoxy but.....if you think of the stick golf club handles get on every swing in comparison to a cast then double sided tape might be up to the task?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2015 01:01PM

Bill, on golf clubs the tape is spiraled on the shaft and then a solution such as that made for the purpose is squirted on the taped area and the grip is just slid onto the shaft. The grips don't come off even when soaking wet. Golf grips get a lot tougher workout than fishing rods. Once the golf grips are on, the only way to get them off is to cut them off. Even after cut, they have to be peeled away from the shaft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 01:24PM by Randolph Ruwe.

Date: May 25, 2015 01:09AM

thanks as I am not a golfer as you can tell

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2015 08:59PM

I worked in a custom golf club shop in the 60s we used two sided tape then and they still do.
ever here of a golf club flying out of its grip lol but they have come loose .

easy fix, sceringe with assatone injected under the grip, loosens the glue and slides off. clean shaft retape slid on grip, or even a different one.

Great thing about this grip, such little effort to change out, 10 min.

Curt

Date: May 25, 2015 11:15PM

after reading all about the double face tape I will stay with EPOXY I know if it is dun correctly I won't have to change it thanks for the info

William Sidney
AK

Date: May 27, 2015 04:57PM

Your better off IMHO

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: May 29, 2015 12:59PM

I've done quite a few with the double stick tape and never had one fail. My EVA fits fairly tight and I would worry more about the EVA pushing the epoxy off the blank causing a bond failure. The tape is there and holds well, if epoxy was a superior bond I would think that golf clubs would do it that way instead of tape, as they see much more abuse than a fishing rod will.

Bill you just have to keep telling yourself that change is bad, and it will be.

Date: May 29, 2015 04:12PM

Maybe they use tape cause it is quicker --- They can make more clubs -- and more mula

You can also ream out your eva more and this way it will not push the glue off the blank ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.193.96.---)
Date: May 29, 2015 06:41PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe they use tape cause it is quicker --- They
> can make more clubs -- and more mula
>
> You can also ream out your eva more and this way
> it will not push the glue off the blank ???

Maybe because it's better, you should try a technique before you condemn it. Bill, you can do anything any way you want to, but the board is here to educate and expand techniques. You seem to speak as though your way is the best and there is not any other way to do it, before you condemn a process you should try the alternative. Tour Star recommends tape and they have a great video showing the process [www.tourstarproducts.com] . Again if you don't want to tape the grip on, more power to you; but don't tell others they can't because of your bias.

Date: May 29, 2015 07:15PM

Is the tape - WaterProof
Are you going to use the tape for the grips -- What about the seats -- Seat arbors ???
Saltwater seats and arbors

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 07:50PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.193.96.---)
Date: May 29, 2015 08:33PM

1)Yes

2)Yes, if you are using EVA for the reel seat, No if your using wood, poly or acrylic as they won't stretch over the tape.

Again, you should try it before you knock it. I can see that your mind is closed so to quote Mark Twain: “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

Date: May 29, 2015 08:50PM

Why

Rod Bond is waterproof and I can use it for my seats - and grips - and arbors
Why should I have another product and have 2 for a rod - When 1 will work Less things in my supply closet -less to buy -
The Kiss methoud -- It makes no sense You use what you want and have ALL the products for so many different things
I will stay with Rod Bond -- If that is OK with all of you

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster