I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
guide finish over Formby's Tung Oil
Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: May 21, 2015 03:57PM

Working on a handle that has 10 coats of Formby's on it. As a final coat, can I use guide finish (Pro Kote) over the tung oil, or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 03:58PM by Carrington Tate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide finish over Formby's Tung Oil
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 21, 2015 04:03PM

WHY
After 10 coats is that not nice ?? Next time just use maybe two coats of the pro Coat sanding in between each coat
Not sure---- But I would think it should work Wate for more replies before you do

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 21, 2015 04:06PM

No it looks good, just thought for extra protection and water proofing.

Date: May 21, 2015 04:14PM

Not trying to break your chops but if the oil does not give protection -- why use it Did you read the lable on the container

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2015 04:14PM

Doubtful. Besides, epoxy is not an ideal topcoat for wood.

Date: May 21, 2015 04:19PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not trying to break your chops but if the oil does
> not give protection -- why use it Did you read the
> lable on the container

I read up on it and it should offer good protection. I'm the type that usually goes overboard!

Thanks Tom, I won't chance it then.

Thanks

Date: May 21, 2015 04:31PM

That is why I said to wate for some one like Tom who knows the oil
But It did not make sense to me to put 10 coats of a wood treatment on it and then use a epoxy over it - Just a little common sense
Try a Search here of coatings for wood You should come up with several very good products

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2015 04:38PM

If you feel you need an additional coat of protection, try Perma gloss on a scrap piece that is coated with the tung oil. It is much thinner and won't eventually flake off. Test!!! before you try either.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 21, 2015 08:05PM

Carrington

"Formby's Tung oil finish is a high quality varnish made from a balanced blend of Tung oil and other fine penetrating oils", "Formby's Tung oil finish penetrates wood, providing protection from the inside out" (says so on the can). It should withstand any normal fishing abuse. When you are finished for the day the rod or any rod for that matter should be rinsed or wiped down and put away dry.

In my opinion 10 coats of Tung oil should withstand a season of monsoons.

I think you are wasting your time trying to apply further protection to the handle especially trying to bond epoxy to a oil base surface.

Now if you plan to experiment and "play" with applying different protective coatings for future reference by all means go for it and if you would, please share your experience with us.

As it stands I would be quite content with the present finish.

John

Date: May 21, 2015 08:44PM

Right, one or the other, but both not necessary.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2015 01:48AM

I have built quite a few rod handles and have always used two coats of flex coat thread finish - sanding after the first coat. Very durable, long lasting and waterproof. Some of them are several years old with lots of use and no sign of wear or deterioration with the finish.

Really, not so much difference than when bar top builders flood the surface with resin and let it harden up. A really long wearing and great looking finish.

Be safe

Date: May 22, 2015 07:50AM

Except that those epoxy bar top coatings all say "not for exterior use."

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2015 09:49AM

Tom,
That could be, but I don't believe that the epoxy coatings that we use for thread say "not for exterior use".

I just know that the thread finish works very well for rod handles and I will continue to use it for that purpose as well as coating thread.

Good luck

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 22, 2015 11:04AM

The only reason I can see to put a finish over the tung oil would be cosmetic, to change the sheen. If you wanted to add glossiness,, then a tung oil based varnish is the correct top coat over that, not epoxy.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2015 06:26AM

Tung oil is a good finish and has been used for tool handles for a long long time. Farmers have used it for their tool handles. What is nice about oil finishes is if they wear off (it takes alot) you and lightly sand and reapply. As Tom stated rod finish is not ideal for woods. The oils in woods can also affect epoxy

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 25, 2015 07:25PM

will the EPOXY stay over the oil ??? I don't know any experancy out there do but in an share the info please

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 26, 2015 10:01AM

William, there is no yes or no answer as it depends on the the saturation level of the base wood, the stability properties of various wood species, and the kind and extent of physical and environmental factors the rod will be exposed to.

The original poster has applied a lot of oil (10 applications), the wood fibers are likely nearly completely saturated. This will increase the likelihood of experiencing a problem down the road. If there had been say one light coat of oil, the likelihood that an epoxy film would hold up well over time would be comparatively increased.

To simplify for the purposes of this post, the main difference between an oil formulated from tung oil and a varnish formulated from tung oil is the amount of solids in the formulation. if the original poster's goal is to change the sheen and/or build a protective finish over the tung oil based oil he used, then a chemically compatible product like a marine varnish formulated using tung oil is a better choice compared to a less chemically compatible product like epoxy finish.

Will epoxy finish work for his use? It may or may not.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 12:12PM by John E Powell.

Date: May 27, 2015 09:53PM

thanks to all, i decided not to mess with it and went for a few more coats of tung oil. I am happy with the finished product. here is a link to the photo page...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2015 11:05PM by Carrington Tate.

Date: May 27, 2015 11:05PM

here is the link

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.cnrocmta01.conrtx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 28, 2015 09:58PM

Carrington,

Looks great. Did you buff after the Tung Oil to get the high gloss.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster