I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fixing wavy epoxy finish on decal
Posted by: Andrew Clark (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: May 20, 2015 06:00PM

This is my second build and my first time trying to epoxy over them stick on decals. It doesn't look too good lol. From a glance you can kind of tell it's wavy, but when you feel it you can really tell. Is there any way I can sand down the epoxy to make it level wand epoxy over it without having scuff marks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fixing wavy epoxy finish on decal
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 20, 2015 06:29PM

Yes, use about 150-220 sandpaper with a solid backing to keep from having localized sanding. You want to gently sand it smooth, taking off the high spots. You cannot go all the way through the current layer or you'll damage the decal, so you may want to take some off, re apply epoxy, then do it again. But this can be fixed with careful work.

Now ask the question why did the original coat turn out wavy. My wavy applications have been caused by excessive epoxy being applied or application of too much heat. So knowing nothing more than what I've read, I would recommend less epoxy, little heat (just a flash from a lighter), and longitudinal strokes with the brush. Don't dispair, you'll work it out and get better with every build.

Date: May 20, 2015 06:46PM

I think too much heat may have been part of the issue. I hit it with a heat gun quite a bit to see where the finish would sqg then I would wick the excess off. I did this more than once with three coats. It got worse with each coat.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 20, 2015 07:23PM

Sagging the finish on purpose and then trying to remove sags and drips only creates a problem that you do not want to begin with. The idea is not to have any sags or drips to begin with.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Don't just look at the photos - read the text.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 20, 2015 10:15PM

I know some will disagree, but I have never found a reason to apply heat to my epoxy coatings! There are couple of good articles in this sites library regarding wrap epoxy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 21, 2015 08:20AM

Sinse you have three coats on now Block sand the finish Add another coat
NO HEAT
while turning Then stop the turner Take off any drips Turn 180 see if it drips Take any off Start the turner again
NO HEAT let set

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 21, 2015 11:27AM

Bill's way , above this comment is the best way I have found ,

William Sidney
AK

Date: May 22, 2015 11:09PM

Bought some 220 grit sandpaper and sanded it down some and reapplied finish. Looks a hundred times better. Thanks guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster