I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy finish on EVA
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2015 03:35PM

I emailed a question to Mudhole rod building about a product they carry - magic marbling mad swirl. My question was "will this product stay on the EVA or is there a sealer that needs to applied after the mad swirl". The answer I received is that they have had success by putting epoxy over the mad swirl because over time the paint may begin to rub off. Has anyone ever applied epoxy to EVA? Is there any other product that will seal and protect EVA in general?

Jon Hood

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy finish on EVA
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2015 04:00PM

What do you need to protect EVA from. It is a soft grip material, why put epoxy over it to make it hard?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2015 04:02PM

The problem with most coatings on top of EVA is that the coating itself is prone to chip or crack if pressure is applied to it as the core (the EVA) isn't sufficiently rigid to support the coating under pressure.

If you simply mean something to preserve the EVAs color and feel, then a product such as 303 Protectant would be idea, but you certainly couldn't coat over the top of grip that had that product applied to it.

As I mentioned above - I want to protect the magic swirl material from rubbing off over time

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (199.9.60.---)

On EVA, and any medium for that matter, you need to seal the base first, with exceptions. With EVA, I recommend using the epoxy sold by riley rods, or thread finish. The thread finish can be thinned to fill in the pores. Once sealed and dried, I take a fine grit sandpaper to smooth it up. From this point, you can prime it, dip it, and then clear coat it with the epoxy at Riley Rods or thread finish. Then you have your own Mad-Swirl grip. The paint will wear off, just like any paint, with time if it is not properly protected. Hence the reason for the clear coat. Plus the clear coat/thread finish gives gloss and depth to the Mad-Swirl.

The epoxy at Riley rods is more rigid, so I usually use it on EVA. It has a greater crush strength. Why are you using EVA as opposed to cork or rigid pour foam?

Jeremy Reed

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 12:22AM by Jeremy Reed.

Date: May 19, 2015 04:09PM

Do you use a clear primer? If so, what kind?

Jon Hood

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (199.9.60.---)
Date: May 19, 2015 04:14PM

This is the fun stuff. You have roughly 36 colors to choose from. With each color, they change depending on the base color. White basecoats will give you a truer color. But experiment with different colors. For example, I use gray sometimes because there is not a gray paint. I use colorless mmpaint and this exposes the gray along with the other colors I drop in. For example, I want a black and gray grip or seat. I spray a gray primer, and use black and colorless magic marble paints. For grips, any spray primer (Krylon, Rustoleum,) will work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 04:17PM by Jeremy Reed.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2015 08:41PM

If you are going to put coatings on to make it rigid, why use eva? It is designed to be soft to the touch, not rigid! Use a base that is rigid to start with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 09:48PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 19, 2015 10:55PM

I am a lot new at some of this stuff like putting epoxy on eva grips like Phil said putting epoxy on a soft surface an when it hardens up
the outer area is hard but the inner stuff EVA is soft , why go to all the trouble? make the a grip out wood an be dun with it or make it out of a fiber & epoxy & it should hold up a lot better I think
PS in the photo area there a lot of fiber epoxy handles an you can paint it any color you want

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 11:01PM by william G Sidney.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 20, 2015 09:53AM

I can't imagine any rodbuilding coating used in the proposed manner is going to hold up over time if applied directly over EVA unless a fiber reinforcing material is also used. EVA is just too compliant, alone it's properties vary too greatly from rod finishes. It's the fiber sheathing saturated with resin applied over a core material, that together provide a stable base to which decorative top coats can be applied.

I would not use EVA for this unless I was just going to do one rod for myself and that is what I had to work with. A more rigid material like cork or the more rigid foam core Riley Rods sells is better suited as a core to a fiber reinforced sheathed grip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster