I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

finish flaws
Posted by: Bill Hartlage (---.sip.sdf.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 18, 2015 07:12PM

finishing a fly rod for daughter. the butt wrap looks ok until a black streak appears. have cut off wrap, cleaned with acetone and wrapped again twice the finish is a lite flex coat . should I try a new bottle of flexcoat , cut it off and try again? any idea what is the cause.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: finish flaws
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2015 07:18PM

Is the black streak in the finish or the thread? It sounds to me like an area where you did not apply color preserver. A missed swipe with the brush perhaps.

Date: May 18, 2015 07:41PM

looks to be in finish. thread is a dark green and I use 2 coats of color preserver

Date: May 18, 2015 07:49PM

I'll assume you do not thin the color preserver. I'll also assume you're not flaming the finish.

Something has to be getting into the finish by means of your brush.

Date: May 18, 2015 07:54PM

never thought it might be the brush . will throw away get a new one and redo finish. thanks for input

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2015 08:04PM

sounds like it could be a single bristle from the brush. I only use top quality Sable brushes for my finish. They don't loose and of their bristles.

Date: May 18, 2015 10:11PM

the flaw looks like ink . thought maybe the finish was affecting the rubber butt I have used similar items and finishes w/o problems. the finish is a couple of yrs old

Date: May 19, 2015 07:45AM

It's unlikely to be the epoxy - it doesn't go bad, unless you manage to get something into it.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 19, 2015 09:16AM

A picture would probably help with the diagnosis on this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster