I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help identifying a couple older rods.
Posted by: Jeremy Johnson (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 17, 2015 01:03AM

Hello all, a friend of mine gave me a couple of older rods to take a look at. I don't know much about them other than they're probably older than me.
I posted some photos of them on the photo side if anyone could leave a comment there or respond to this post with any info regarding the ages or manufacturer of the mystery one, any info at all honestly would be great. He thinks he wants me to rebuild/finish them but given the rough shape it seems like quite the undertaking and I'm not sure that it would be worth the time and effort, so any input on that would be great as well. Thanks in advance for any help. I figure a few of you guys have to have seen these rods over the years.
-Jeremy Johnson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help identifying a couple older rods.
Date: May 17, 2015 01:06AM

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2015 07:35AM

Fiberglass rods from the 1960's era, perhaps as late as the early 1970's but no later I don't think. They have no particular monetary value so whether or not it's worth it to him to have them refurbed really depends on how attached he is to them.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: May 17, 2015 03:40PM

My guess: Wright & McGill / Eagle Claw fiberglass rod probably built on a NARMCO/ Conolon fiberglass blank circa 1960-65. Based on the reel seat & overall "look" of the rod blank & visible weave of the blank. Not worth very much at all.

Date: May 18, 2015 01:20AM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I was able to find a few similar to the W&M, better condition on the @#$%& site and they were barely selling for shipping costs so i figured that would be the case. I just wasn't sure about the longer one. I believe he found them at a rummage sale so no sentimental value. Glad to hear honestly as those things need a lot of work and I am low on time these days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster