I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Spey???
Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 11:54PM

So I have a customer that is wanting a 13' 7wt spey rod. The Pac Bay Tradition II fits into his price range and requirents. I am assuming at 13' this is ment to be built as a spey rod, but I can find nothing saying it is. Everything refers to it as a fly rod. The model is T2F1307/8-3 does anyone else have some insight?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Spey???
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: May 17, 2015 01:49PM

I have not tried it but a spey rod is a fly rod. Just a fly rod cast with the use of two hands with a water friction cast.

Call them to find out their specs, ensure that you ask the customer what style of casting they intend to use and what grain weight line they want

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: May 17, 2015 01:55PM

Sorry I had to duck out really quick kids were yelling that the dog got a squirrel.

Not all 7wts are the same and not all 7wts use the same grain to load depending on casting style (scandi/Skagit/shooting head/long line)

Some like faster rods some like full flex traditional rods.

Spey folks are very particular about this (I am one so I know)

Posted by: P. Wayne Hart (---.cpe.citywest.ca)
Date: May 17, 2015 02:34PM

You may want to take a look at Anglers Roost UHM12 blank. I have his 13' 7/8 sf 13' 5/6 in this product and have been very pleased with them both.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2015 05:33PM

The Anglers Roost blanks are very nice I have built a couple of them for my own use, and am thinking about trying one of their bamboo spey blanks soon. Great price!!!

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 17, 2015 09:44PM

The Pac Bay Tradition II blanks are some of the most over-looked, and some really nice blanks.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: May 19, 2015 03:18PM

The T2F1307/8-3 is a spey rod through and through. Our item description for this blank does call out "spey", however, not all dealers use our descriptions. It has a more traditional in action making it a fairly forgiving blank that is comfortable to fish, and at a list price of $125 its a bargain as far as spey blanks go. If you have further questions you would like to ask us keep this thread going or just shoot us an email at info@fishpacbay.com. Thanks.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: May 19, 2015 10:23PM

Thanx Geoff,

I actually sent you an email the other day regarding this. Your catalog doesn't say its a spey rod and thats where I looked. But I guess that doesn't matter at this point lol. What is the recommended skagit grain weight range for this blank?

Date: May 20, 2015 10:51AM

Mr. Crain,
I was able to find the email, sorry it was not responded to just yet. I would recommend starting at 450 or 475 grains and working up as necessary on the T2 blank. If you're looking for a bit faster spey blank better suited for snappier skagit casts, you may want to consider our new 12'6" Quickline speys. They just came in and are not shown in the 2014 catalog. I'm currently fishing the FASY1268-4 (12'6" 4pc 8 weight Quicline Fly (Spey) 560-625 grains) with a 575gn Rio Skagit. The blank is right at the upper end of my casting ability, but it produces phenomenal casts when my timing and mechanics are cooperating. We also have a 7 and 9 weight in the same 12'6" length. Thanks again for considering PacBay.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: May 21, 2015 12:01AM

Geoff,

Who is carrying them already? I would assume Ultmost would be the fastest lol. What is the price point on the blanks. I will run this option by him. For some reason he is @#$%& bent on having one at 13ft because thats what the guy in the fly shop said he needed. Although the reason he wants to stick with a Pac Bay blank is because I built him a 5wt quickline last year and he loves it to death. If I show him a quickline close to what he wants he might jump on board. Thank you for your help.

Date: May 21, 2015 01:55PM

Hi again Jimmy,
I'm sorry but I goofed big time, our stocking inventory has not yet arrived for the new 12'6" speys. I was looking at the 14' and 15' models by mistake. The new ones should arrive in the near future. We'll announce on fishpacbay.com, facebook, and on this forum once they arrive. It's true that Utmost is very close and can get product quickly. Our other dealers also can get product fast as we frequently ship orders the same day and usually no more than the second day.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster