I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Open wraps
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 03:26PM

I have done a few open wraps with a base thread underneath. I used an ink pen to dot my layout marks on the under wrap, but it bled and spread out enough it could be seen in the open areas.
what do you guys and girls use to mark on the under wrap threads or do you put finish on the under wrap before doing the chevrons, etc.?

Jon Hood

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Open wraps
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 03:57PM

If doing light thread, I use a white china marking pencil or a very light scratch on the finish of the blank. if I am going to go over a white or other light colored blank, I use a lead pencil or the scratch method.

Date: May 16, 2015 04:42PM

I get that part on a blank - but what if you put an under wrap prior to the design ?

Posted by: brian rossi (107.77.92.---)
Date: May 16, 2015 07:27PM

I'll take a piece of white thread and tape it to a ruler then use a fine tipped pen to mark it out on the thread. Let it dry good then tape it down on the ends over top of your under wrap. Do a few wraps over it then very carefully cut the white thread in a few places and pull it out.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 09:05PM

I tape a brightly colored thread at the - O - of the blank long enought to cover the whole wrap Then put buy eye one thread for the crosses Measer the space between the crosses with a Compass Adjust
The thread is also used to center the crosses Just bring it over the wrap and adjust them Streaght line Check with the compass for distance

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2015 09:25PM

Hmm. I don't think anyone has answered the original posters question yet unless I am not understanding what you wrote.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 09:33PM

Yes they have with different ways they mark
I do not mark at all and measure after a quick cross

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2015 09:52PM

Brian, when you wrote wrap a few threads, do you mean design threads or hold down bands, I'm not following you.

Bill, I tried reading your first post three times, I can't follow your thoughts at all.

Posted by: brian rossi (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 11:40PM

So you have a piece of thread with distance marks (what ever you decide on) laying length wise over your under wrap taped down at both ends. Now you start your design using the marked thread as a guide. You can't leave the marked thead in there for more than a few wraps or it will be a pain to get it out. Bill is pretty much doing the same thing I believe except he is just using the thread to keep him lined up along the top center or "0 axis" and eyeballing the distance then measuring it to check.

Date: May 17, 2015 07:02AM

do you put the marked thread on all axes, or just 0 and 180?

Jon Hood

Posted by: brian rossi (107.77.92.---)
Date: May 17, 2015 06:05PM

Just 0 now but on my first few wraps I did both 0 and 180

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster