I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What's so good about Gudebrod?
Posted by: Andrew Clark (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 01:40AM

Sorry. I'm new. What's so good about this thread in comparison to other threads?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's so good about Gudebrod?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 06:22AM

It was nice to work with, and had few flaws like fuzzies and knots in the spools. But - the Makoi thread I have used recently is actually nicer than the old Gudebrod in my experience. Call Karen at Bingham and give it a try.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 09:54AM

I don't know that Gudebrod was any better than the threads now available. At one time it was about the only thread available. All manufacturers and builders used it. It was readily available and good quality. Now that they have gone out of business you still have a demand for it primarily for color match. It is very dificult to get an exact color match from one manufaturers line to another.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2015 10:37AM

Things tend to take on legendary status once they're gone. The fact is, it was hard to match color from one spool of Gudebrod to the next, owing to constant differences in dye batches. If you were to go back to posts made when Gudebrod was a going concern, you'd see plenty of people were unhappy with it at the time. Overall it was a good product, but no more so, if as much, as many of the thread offerings available today.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: May 16, 2015 10:48AM

Andrew,
Gudebrod made both nylon and silk threads in a large variety of colors in sizes ranging from 2/0 (slightly smaller than A) to EE. As mentioned by others their threads were very smooth and almost glossy. They also made what is called Classic two color twist threads in which two different colored strands were twisted together. The colors of these included red/white, green/white, blue/white, red/black, orange/black,green/black, yellow/black,white/black, red/yellow, and red/green. When you wrapped with these two color twist threads your wrap gave a marbled appearance which varied as the diameter of the blank changed.

Today only ProWrap makes anything that approaches the gudebrod threads. A company called Thread Art makes a polyester thread for embroidery projects that has two colored strands twisted together. Unfortunately Gudebrod's management went astray and they went out of business. I still have several large spools of classic twist thread and when that is exhausted, I'll probably stop making rods.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Ron Weber (192.158.48.---)
Date: May 16, 2015 11:12AM

I am kinda liking the new Fuji poly thread. Price has seemed to be an issue with many, but when you break it down, only amounts to less than a dollar per rod built. Still experiementing with it, but very pleased with the results so far.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 01:17PM

I still have at least 50,000 yds of Gudebrod and Holland thread it is still the best made in my opinion. I am currently trying some Fish Hawk thread and I like some of the neon colors, but Gudebrod and Holland set the standard for all others. Haven't seen anything yet to exceed their performance.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 01:36PM

In my opinion, Gudebrod set the standard for consistency. Never experienced knots in a spool and fuzzies were extremely rare. Have used quite a bit of Prowrap, but fuzzies are often and it does not stretch like Gudebrod. Now switching to Makoi, and have yet to try the Fuji poly.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 02:59PM

I have been using Prowrap and like it. I also have some Fishhawk but it seems to have a lot of fuzzies after burnishing.

Jon Hood

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 06:46PM

I got the reason it is tuff to teach an old dog new tricks, hard to change the dog one bit , an gudebrod has been around for a long tine an we / I hatted to change to a new maker of threads just mt 2 CTS there are some new makers of thread an they are great just as good if not better

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 07:28PM

I also liked Rice thread that I bought through Angler's Workshop.

Posted by: Andrew Clark (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: May 16, 2015 08:03PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have tried Fuji poly, ProWrap, and Fishhawk so far. Pro wrap has been the best for me by far. It just seems to wrap better and I like the color options. I definitely want to try Makoi and Gudebrod. Especially Gudebrod's rust color in nylon. I think after the epoxy darkens it up, and with some gold trim on a slate colored blank, it will look awesome.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2015 09:47PM

I've got more than a lifetime supply of Gudebrod. I also have some thread from every mfg mentioned so far. I have thread from others not mentioned like Madeira, sunset line and twine, Coates and Clark, etc., even some Japanese silk threads handed down to me from my mother, an accomplished embroidery artist.

When Gudebrod went out of business, they left a big hole in the market which others tried to fill, IMO with limited success. I can honestly say I haven't been satisfied with today's offerings. That is until recently. If you haven't tried the Fuji thread yet, you ought to. It's really nice. Of the couple samples I tried, I think it's some of the best thread I've ever worked with. I plan to try a few more colors soon. If they're as consistently good as what I've tried so far, I'll buy the complete set of colors and thin out the similar colors from other companies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 01:37PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 17, 2015 12:50AM

Gudebrod is legendary like Ford is legendary. Some would rather buy a Toyota.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: May 17, 2015 08:40AM

Spencer, aren't Fish Hawk and the Rice the same thing? For some reason I think that I had heard that along the way.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 17, 2015 12:10PM

I have also been told that ProWrap and Makoi are the same. Don't know if it is true.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.32.---)
Date: May 20, 2015 05:19PM

Not sure Thom, Angler's stopped selling their own thread just before Gudebrod quit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster