I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

polishing casting marks from reel seats
Posted by: Cory Leiman (---.umts.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: May 02, 2015 11:00PM

I was wondering if any one has polished out the casting marks from reel seats.I am looking for information on what they used to polish them out and how it turned out. Also interested in painting the seats. I did a search and seen that some had used automotive paint with a clear coat over top but the seats didn't have a lot of use. Im looking for a durable finish. Can some one point me to the link or give me some input on this. thanks Cory

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: polishing casting marks from reel seats
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2015 08:24AM

Yes do it on almost every seat. Either just to eliminate then, or from trimming down seats.

After trimming or when getting rid of the marks and mold seams I use a dermal type tool with abrasion sponge wheels. You have to be careful to not get seat hot. If you do the plastic starts to melt back onto itself. also approach from different directions. can use polishing wheel and -plastic polish after words if you desire a smoother finish

Different types/brands of reel seats are made from different materials, and as such so it takes a bit to learn each materials behavior when working on them and how to get the best results with each.

Posted by: Cory Leiman (207.195.86.---)
Date: May 03, 2015 10:10AM

Thanks Steve. Yes I'm looking to remove the casting marks from the seats. Do you paint your seats ? Could use a tip or two on that as well. Thanks again. Cory

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2015 10:26AM

I have a bench top buffer with cloth buffing wheels on each end of the buffer.

Then appropriate buffing compound is added to a wheel as needed to match the material being buffed.

For example:

[www.harborfreight.com]

and:

[www.harborfreight.com]

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2015 09:42PM

Cory
I do not paint them, the work i do on them is to remove weight and improve comfort when holding by removing the seams and any thing else that is not smooth from cutting on them

Posted by: Cory Leiman (---.umts.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: May 04, 2015 02:13AM

Ok. Thought I would ask. I wish to try both. Thanks for the help. Cory

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster