I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tip top
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 12:02PM

I always test cast my rods before finishing. When it comes to the tiptop I use 5min epoxy. If not satisfied with the set up, I reheat the tip and change position. Am I compromising the glue by reheating?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 12:27PM by Bill Cohen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tip top
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 01, 2015 12:51PM

It won't reset. Epoxy isn't a hot melt type of product. The only thing holding your tips on is friction once you break the initial glue bond.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 01:29PM

Bill,
Rather than using 5 minute epoxy, use heat activated adhesive.

However, I wonder why you would ever have to redo a tip top once you have it glued to the blank.

You only have to have it aligned with the reel seat and that is determined by sighting down the rod. The alignment of the tip has nothing to do with test casting.

You should have decided well in advance of the type and size tip top needed for a particular build.

So, I would just suggest that you take your tip top of choice, glue it in place and as necessary align it, before the glue sets up if using epoxy - or reheat to realign if using heat activated adhesive.

Should be no need to realign or change a tip top as a result of test casting.

Good luck

Date: May 01, 2015 03:22PM

Roger, your right most of the time . Occasionally I'll get a rod that does not fell just right, if I have built it on the cocave side I'll switch it to the concex. Its a very different rod.How about the name of the adhesive you use? Ive tried Fugi but heard that in hot weather the tip will loosen. Thanks for the advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 03:26PM by Bill Cohen.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 03:30PM

Use Super Hot melt glue designed for glue guns. Never had one come loose even in very hot weather.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 03:45PM

Like Roger
Why would one have to take a top off and redo it The top is the first guide I put on a rod lined to the reel or seat Done

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 04:33PM

x10 Bill,

Put n the reel seat and grip. Then put on the tip top.
Finally put the guides on where they need to be.

Be safe

Date: May 01, 2015 04:49PM

Bill

First thing I do is to either roll the blank on a flat surface or put it on my wrapper rollers As I turn it I can see if it is streight If the tip turns true If not I put the tip bend UP and mark that as top

Next build the handle complete Casting reel goes aline to the top or mark you have made Spinning is 180 or at the bottom of the mark

Tip top cast with guides on top - If you are unsure of size of the guides Come here and ask
Cast ring up Spin Down Glue it on bingo Done

What are you having to change the tops possition ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 01, 2015 04:59PM

Occasionally as luck would have it I come up short a tip top. You know, "Im sure had one, where did I put it"? I use one that I have thats the the closest to the match. Then, when my order comes in I change. I live on an Island and some times parts are slow to come. You guys are great thanks for the suggestions.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 01, 2015 05:11PM

If you'll extend your trim wrap up onto and beyond the tiptop tube, and then epoxy finish over that, your tiptop will stay put - no turning nor twisting. If you need to replace it, just trim back the trim wrap, loosen the hot melt with gentle heat, and remove.

Best of all worlds.

Date: May 01, 2015 05:32PM

You can also put a single foot guide on with tape or thread just to test cast Then when the top comes in take it off and glue the top on The hot melt glues are better then one would think They are making them better because of the tops moving in hot weather

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster