I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wind check advise
Posted by: Clyde Galvin (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: April 30, 2015 10:46AM

I am curious to see if there is a system or way to figure out the size of wind checks I would need to order prior to receiving the blanks and supplies in the mail, I find myself trying to guess or ordering after the fact the right wind checks I was wanting to know how some of you know the right size wind checks to order. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wind check advise
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 11:12AM

Clyde,

Mudhole has "MHX Dimensions for Exposed Reel Seats and Winding Checks" available in PDF Format on their web site, which you can download and print. It can be found at the bottom of the pages listing the MHX blanks. It gives the blank diameters at a 2" interval for each of the MHX blanks from the butt of the rods up to 20" to 22" depending on the blank number. I use the list to very closely approximate the reel seat and winding check sizes before I have the blank in hand. If I am not building a MHX blank, I pick a MHX blank similar in length, power & action to the blank that I am building to estimate the sizes needed. It works fairly well. Every once in awhile I will find a blank that has a different taper to it and have to order a different size reel seat. I hate that when it happens!!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: April 30, 2015 11:19AM

Most if not all the suppliers have a comment box on the order form. Leave a comment for them to size the checks to the blank were you want them placed.

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 11:23AM

Clyde another thing is to let the company your ordering from know when ordering what size seat and handle you plan on using. let them know your also wanting a winding check for that set up and want it fit to the blank. I always also order a size up and down just to be safe. I never have enough winding checks in stock. Lately with my new metal lathe I have been making my own.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 11:33AM

Clyde,

You are not alone - we here this comment quite a bit from our customers - split grips can be really difficult given the number of winding checks and different styles of winding checks. Since we inventory 100% of what we sell (less items on back order from the manufacturer) one of our customer service representatives is happy to measure and check the blank OD for you. You just need to provide us with the distance from the butt - another good way to get this done is to draw your rod layout on paper and fax (or email) it to us and we can see what you need and reply back. Either way we are just a phone call away and happy to help.

The Trim Parts and Winding checks we carry can be seen at: [www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2015 12:14PM

I'm new to rod building, and I wondered the same things as you've been wondering. For me personally, I go through a process to determine the amount of taper the blank has. It's not a hard or complicated procedure, and it would be much easier if all of the measurements supplied for each part of a rod blank, and each component used the same type of measurement.

For instance, a blank's tip measurement is given in 64ths of an inch. The blanks butt measurement is given in 1000ths of an inch. and winding checks and reel seats are in millimeters.

The following is an example of the process I use. In the example, the blank is a 6'6" blank with a it's tip listed as 5, and its butt diameter listed as .521

I convert the blank's tip measurement to 1000ths of an inch 1/64 = .0156" A blank with a listed tip measurement of 5, would have a tip diameter of .078. I then subtract the diameter of the tip, from the listed butt diameter.

.521 - .078 = .443

.443 is the difference in the diameter of the tip and the butt. and respresents the amount of taper over the entire length of the blank. I then convert the blank's length to number of inches, in this case, 78" and divide .443 by that number. The result is the amount of taper, per inch of blank length. I round up to the nearest 10,000th

6'6" = 78" .443 divided by 78 = .0056794 = .0057 per inch of blank length. I then use that taper as the multiplier for determining other diameters along the length of the blank

Let's say the planned length for the rear grip is 7" and I'm using a casting reel seat that has a portion of exposed blank, and I need it to fit the blank snugly when it butts up against the rear grip.

.0057 x 7 = .0399 or the amount of taper over 7" of blank.

butt diameter .521 - .0399 = .481 Now since reel seats are given in millimeters, I have to convert .481, to millimeters. For that I use an on line calculator.

.481 = 12.22 mm. I would order a 12 mm reel seat and ream it slightly to fit, if need be.

If I wanted to determine a winding check size at the end of the fore grip, I'd simply add the length of the rear grip, the length of the reel seat, and the length of the fore grip, together, and use the .0057 as the multiplier. In our example rod. 7" rear grip. Reel seat length 5" Fore grip length 2"

14 x .0057 = .0798 or .080 = taper over 14" of blank length. Butt diameter .521 - .080 = .441 = diameter of the blank 14" from the butt. .441 = 11.2 mm. so I would order an 11 or an 11.5 mm winding check.

While it seems like a long drawn out process, it really isn't. And it's resulted in almost perfect fits each and every time I've used it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 12:24PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.northstate.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 12:26PM

The only trouble with that is that tapers are not always straight. Many rod butts have very little taper and then a third of the way up or whatever, the taper really kicks in.

I quit using hard metal checks and use rubber or vinyl ones. They stretch enough that it doesn't matter much. Cheaper too. If you are hard set on using the metal ones then have your dealer size and fit it before shipping.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 01, 2015 05:01AM

Our you could do like alot of us and make a thick epoxy ramp and wrap it with a matching thread band with a finish coat on top. Jay

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 01, 2015 09:32AM

If you're just going to build one or two rods, it's probably easier to ask your retailer to size your winding check(s) and rod tip for each blank you purchase. However, this means you need to know your handle configuration, and finished reel seat and grip(s) length(s). However, if you plan to build more than a couple rods, it's probably advantageous to have an assortment of winding checks and rod tips on hand. This way, you'll be prepared for that unexpected repair on a fishing buddies rod without having to special order a $2 item and pay 3-4x that to ship it.

Another good idea is to order one extra runner guide with each rod you build. Keep it tucked away and down the road if a guide needs to be replaced you'll have it on hand and be back fishing days sooner than if you had to order one in.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 08:00PM

Not trying to steal this post, but the winding checks that I prefer are the ones that a company named Cork New York used to have. They were an almost translucent nylon that came in a number of sizes. You could use one that slid down the blank to within 10" or so of where you wanted it and it would slide down the rest of the way with a little pressure. One of the best things about them was that they could be dyed any color that you wished just by using Rit Dye and hot water. The color became permanent and would not change either with salt or fresh water or sun.

Does any one know of a current source for them? I still have a few, but would sure like to get some more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster