I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Something Besides Tape
Posted by: Andrew Clark (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 04:59AM

I want to be able to adjust my guides without having to retape every time. Are there bands or maybe some kind of tubing I could use to hold the guides down and still be able to adjust and wrap the guides? If so, where do I get them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Something Besides Tape
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 30, 2015 05:53AM

Hi Andrew

You can buy rubber tubing from some of our sponsors on the left. I know Mudhole sells it. You then cut it to the desired length you need. You can go to your local Orthadontist and buy the small braces elastics. Or possibly your local drug store.

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 07:41AM

I have been using elastic beading thread for years. Can adjust guides, even cast.
You buy in craft stores like Michaels or Joanns.

Cut off 8" and wrap guide foot under tension. Make two overhand knots. Adjust guide -finished.
Herb

Posted by: Nate Nelson (107.77.89.---)
Date: April 30, 2015 08:29AM

The rubber tubing Chris mentioned is Surgical tubing. I use a combo of that and tape when needed and it works great. However, be careful when moving guides as the tubing holds them down tight and you can scratch the blank if you're not careful.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 11:16AM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been using elastic beading thread for
> years. Can adjust guides, even cast.
> You buy in craft stores like Michaels or Joanns.
>
> Cut off 8" and wrap guide foot under tension.
> Make two overhand knots. Adjust guide -finished.
> Herb
I do the same as Herb...use the elastic thread and it is available at Wally World, as well, in the yardage dept.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 11:41AM

Hi Andrew,

Some other items that work for holding and adjusting guides:

Tubing (with video) : [www.mudhole.com]

Guide Foot Adhesive (with video): [www.mudhole.com]

Thin Tape: [www.mudhole.com]

Also a grease marker pen used to remember where you last placed the guide: [www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Ricky Fleming (---.textron.com)
Date: April 30, 2015 12:47PM

Check with an orthodontist for 3/16 rubber bands. I get mine free.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-195.myvzw.com)
Date: April 30, 2015 01:13PM

Gentlemen

We have a great, inexpensive solution. Our Guide Foot Adhesive allows you to tweek guides. Check out the short video at the link below

[www.flexcoat.com]

Check it out

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 04:44PM

Andrew,
This might help.
I setup a rod as follows:

I just take pieces of 1/8th inch wide tape to set the guide positions.

I pre cut a bunch of inch long pieces of tape. Then, I take the tape to do my initial guide setup. Then, I just press the blank tip against a surface and load the blank. After doing this, I will verify the guide positions on the blank.

If necessary, I will readjust the tape position as necessary to have an appropriate line path for the loaded blank.

Once I have the tape in the final position; I tape the guides in place. Once I wrap, I seldom have to readjust the guides.

--
But, if you want to use bands, you can get Ortho bands of many many different sizes to accommodate you wishes. When you bands, just put enough bands, plus a couple of extra to secure each guide. Wrap the guide 1/2 way, and then use a fine nosed snip to remove the band from the rod.

Just one of many many sources for Ortho bands. Pick up a variety to handle various rod blank sizes.
[www.amazon.com]

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 04:46PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 06:06PM

If you are wrapping the tape all the way around the blank, then I can understand you frustration. Try cutting tape so that it just contacts the sides of the blank. It will hold the guide in place just fine, and it also makes an excellent anchor point for trim threads and your tie off loop. I have used this method for over 40 years and have tried all the other methods. I will stick with this one. I only tape one guide to the blank at a time, I have never seen a good enough reason to attach them all at one time. They still have to be given minor adjustments and with this method it is very easy.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 06:20PM

I sometimes use 30# mono that I make circular loops with using a knot like a uni that will slip and tighten around the guide.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 06:37PM

Second the use of elastic sewing thread, available at any sewing supplies store. It's cheap, easy to use, strong, quick, secures guides solidly yet allows easy adjustment.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 06:46PM

I go to the drug store and get a bag of rubber bands I use them like the thread the thin ones as the thread Ty them on

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 07:46PM

With all of my rod building, I employ production room techniques. So, I normally run my rods through my rod shop in batches. I do set up and a given operation on all of the components, blanks, or grips at one time.

So, if I am building 6 rods that day, I will prep the blanks, prep and size the grips, prep all of the guides, and when it comes to putting the guides on the rod - tape all of the guides on all of the guides.

Then, I just go back to the first rod, wrap the guides and align them and go onto the next guide etc. to the last rod in the batch.

When I am on a roll doing a particular operation; I find that I waste less time by doing one operation - on all of the rods in the batch, rather than doing things one item at a time.

In particular, when making a bunch of identical rods, It is so much easier to align, and space guides when I am doing all of the rods in the batch - one operation at a time.

Be safe

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.auroracollege.com)
Date: May 01, 2015 05:07PM

Another thing that may work well is Spider Thread that is an elastic self cinching thread used for tying spawn sacks for trout and salmon fishing.
Just wrap a few turns over it's self and pull to seat and break.
Sort of like the elastic beading thread without having to tie any knots.
Guess I'll have to see if I have any at home and try it. ;)

[www.redwingtackle.com]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Allen Bevins (---.sub-70-210-32.myvzw.com)
Date: May 01, 2015 06:07PM

A lot of good suggestions here guys.

I'm in the process of building my third rod now. On my first two, I learned quickly that using tape can be quite frustrating, at least for the smaller guides. So since I had plenty of them lying around, last night I decided to try the bands used to make jig or spinnerbait skirts. I used two bands per guide. Seemed to work a lot better, and they held tight enough that I could load the rod, test cast, and make whatever adjustments were necessary before wrapping. I'm not sure they would work as good for micros, but for standard guides they worked rather well.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 10:54PM

I swear I had a post on here last night. Seems to be gone.....Or I didn't post it lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster