I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help guides for HM-SJ842-MHX
Posted by: Juan Jose (---.216.141.31.dyn.user.ono.com)
Date: April 29, 2015 06:11AM

Hi, I want to build a finesse spinning rod for bass. The line will be 8 lb of mono or fluoro (sometimes 6 lb) with a Shimano Biomaster 2500. The blank will be a HM-SJ842-MHX.
I have build some casting rods, but I have a lot of doubts abouts the guides in a spinnig rod.
1. First of all, I don´t want to spend a lot in guides, so I think, Fuji alconite it will be fine, but what model? I have seen a lot of models; KL, KR, etc.
2. How many guides without the tip and the size of each?
3. Placement of each?
Any advise will be welcome!!!!
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help guides for HM-SJ842-MHX
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.rcm-wpa1.kent.edu)
Date: April 29, 2015 07:59AM

The simplest solution is to get the lowest price MicroWave system. Follow the recipe to place the butt guide, reduction guide and the first running guide. Then either use their chart for the running guides or use a static test to place them. They will get the job done, and done very well.

If you want to use the Fuji K series guides, use the KR Concept tool that Jim put up recently, [anglersresource.net]

Either of these tools will take the guess work out of the guide selection.

The 27x NGC method is another option. For this, measure the spool diameter. Place the choke guide (first small fly guide) 27x the distance from the lip of the spool when it is about half way through its oscillation. Now, remove the spool and make a line from the spool shaft to the choke point. I use a piece of fishing line wit the rod held upside down in my wrapper. Place your reduction guides where they just touch the line. In Y style frames (Fuji Y, Amtak A frame, Alps XY), a 25mm, 16mm, and 8mm will likely get you in good shape. When you look down through the 25mm guide they should make a bullseye pattern with the choke guide in the center. Place the running guides using a static test, or place them with equal distances of ~4" to 5" between each pair, or a progressive spacing. The spacing of the running guides is up to you.

With any of the methods, if you have your handle built, you can determine where the choke/first small running guide is located and measure the distance between there and the tip to help determine the total number of guides needed. If you have one guide for every 4" or 5" in that area, you will have plenty, and may have a spare or two to hold onto for future repairs.

Yes, spinning guide trains are a bit harder to dial in, but they are still more forgiving than you might think. Each of the above systems has its merits. They all work, and can produce a great rod.

Joe

Posted by: Ben Eipert (170.185.147.---)
Date: April 29, 2015 10:42AM

I absolutely love Pac Bay Minima guides. I either follow standard micro guide layouts or use concept. Something I have done recently is kind of do a hybrid of them. It is easier to just look at a guide set and copy the sizes and number of guides. I use the spacing from Mudhole for micro guides and Angler's Resource like Joe mentioned.

I absolutely love Pac Bay Minima guides. I either follow standard micro guide layouts or use concept. Something I have done recently is kind of do a hybrid of them. It is easier to just look at a guide set and copy the sizes and number of guides. I use the spacing from Mudhole for micro guides and Angler's Resource like Joe mentioned.

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2015 12:29PM

I just finished a budget build using Minimma4 Match (high frame) transition guides (20, 10, 5 if I remember right) and size 5 runners. The whole set is so cheap keeping a set for layout is well worth it.

Posted by: Juan Jose (---.216.141.31.dyn.user.ono.com)
Date: April 29, 2015 06:25PM

Thanks everyone!!!!
I think I will use Fuji KR guides Alconite, but I have more doubts;
I doubt in the sizes of the first guides; 25 or 20 (KL-H) and 12 or 10 (KL-H).
The third one I think it will be KB, but 5,5, 5, or 4,5?
I finally doubt if I can go to 4s runners or 4,5 or 5 (KT)?And how many?
Thanks!
A casting rod is easier definitely!!!!

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 01:02AM

Buy KL20H, KL10, KL5.5M then KT4 (or KT4.5) thru tip (buy 6).

You'll have all in hands to build a nice rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster