I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Transition wrap onto EVA foregrip
Posted by: John Gaylord (---.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 09:57AM

On a saltwater boat rod, I want to transition the wrap, tapering from the blank onto the end of the EVA foregrip. What is the technique for this. Thanks.

John Gaylord
Keewaydin Custom Rods
Dublin, OH; Naples, FL
jgbuckeye@gmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Transition wrap onto EVA foregrip
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2015 10:50AM

You need to taper the fore area of the grip. It will be easier to wrap onto the grip if you harden it. A light coat of epoxy will do that. Once cured, your thread will easily wrap up and onto it. Finish the thread as usual.

One tip - when you apply epoxy to the thread you will want to overlap the EVA just a tad. The EVA will tend to draw the finish onto itself somewhat unevenly, so keep a paper towel wetted with alcohol or acetone handy and every few minutes carefully use a folded corner to square up the epoxy on the grip. After a certain time period, the epoxy will thicken enough that it won't "creep" any further and you'll be good to go.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 11:10AM

The end of the EVA would have to be a quite shallow taper to the blank. I have not done this, but if I were to do it I would put a coat of regular or Rileys epoxy onto the EVA before wrapping to provide some structure for the wrap. Maybe two coats. Then wrap and finish as usual. If you expect that area of the rod to get hard use, like pressed against the boat rail, or hard hand contact, I would be skeptical that it would hold up. I screwed up an epoxy covered rigid foam ramp, left a void in the rigid foam under the epoxy coating, and it caved in. I would think that compliant EVA under rigid epoxy would tend to do the same thing, right at the edge.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 11:24AM

John,
As others have suggested; likely the best way to do this is NOT to do it.
Figure out another way to go from the rod to the grip. EVA is just not the best surface to wrap on, even if it is coated with Epoxy. It will very likely lead to long term issues with the rod and the transition.

Good luck if you do try it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 11:43AM

What about making a cone for the front of the grip out of say reel seat arbor Shape ( a little smaller ) glue on then run the thread up the arbor ( light tension ) then finish trying not to hit the grip Should also be a little easer to clean with the paper towel

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Gaylord (---.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 11:53AM

Thanks, Guys.

John Gaylord
Keewaydin Custom Rods
Dublin, OH; Naples, FL
jgbuckeye@gmail.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 07:53PM

I'm not sure what you are exactly trying to accomplish, but if you want a smooth transition from the blank to the EVA, then cut the EVA CLEANLY at 90 degrees to its axis at a diameter just larger than the diameter of the blank. Then after gluing the EVA to the blank, construct an epoxy ramp going from the blank to the EVA piece. (Use masking tape to protect the EVA from any epoxy from the ramp.) If you cut the EVA so it's not that much larger than the blank, the epoxy ramp can be pretty small. But you will have a nice smooth transition from the blank to the EVA that should be durable. You will be butting an epoxy ramp up against an EVA foregrip. This will look much nicer than a winding check.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2015 08:55PM

Excellent idea.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 09:40PM

Hello John.

I do the same as Michael Danek most times but sometimes I put a black vinyl tall winding check (VWC- size) on then epoxy over that.

Tight Wraps & Bent Rods.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster