I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

darken cork
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 08:21AM

Want to darken some cork handles what do you suggest? Tried the U40 product

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: darken cork
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2015 08:42AM

You can use an oil wash. danish oil will bring out the grain without any buildup. You can use other darker oils if you want a darker appearance( teak oil, tru oil, etc) I like the danish due to what i stated before.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 08:46AM

A light thread finish will give it a golden look

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 28, 2015 10:00AM

A light thread finish will give it a golden look Bill are you saying to wrap the cork with cork?

Date: April 28, 2015 10:03AM

John, Will the oil also seal the cork and act as the U40 cork seal?

Date: April 28, 2015 10:05AM

John, Will the oil also seal the cork and act as the U40 cork seal?

Date: April 28, 2015 10:11AM

No
Put thread finish on it ( finish ) I have put a coat on then sanded it and did another thin wet coat
Just try to fill any holes Or a coat then stop and fill holes with finish May take two heavy coats to fill the holes sanding each

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2015 10:16AM by bill boettcher.

Date: April 28, 2015 10:21AM

Good idea Bill I'll try it. thanks

Date: April 28, 2015 10:33AM

Also be carefull of air bubbles coming from the holes I usually try sticking a pin in them to pop them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 11:26AM

Bill,
Remember, cork floats. Cork does not absorb water or anything else very well. Normally any time you put something on top of cork, it is just laying there, but not really being absorbed into the cork.
So, although the change might look fine upon doing the work, it is only a guess as to how long that look will remain on the grip.

Good luck

Date: April 28, 2015 11:31AM

But like anything else It can be refreshed with a thin coat
And how long does finish on thread wraps last It maynot soak in well I give the handle a wash and a red scoff pad sanding But like thread with CP over it just lays on but does stick pretty well

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2015 04:29PM

the danish oil will add protection. I know some bow makers that only use danish oil and nothing else. it is easy to apply and reapply if necessary. i use it on corks and woods where i want to bring out the grain without darkening the piece. it will a little but not much

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 06:33PM

Tru oil (gunstock finish) will darken the cork several shades. It will also seal the cork and will leave it with a tough outer layer.

Rog

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-142.myvzw.com)
Date: April 28, 2015 08:33PM

Bill,

If you have U-40 Perma Gloss in your shop, it works great for this. I use it on all my grips.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 29, 2015 12:02AM

Marine Varnish. Made to hold up to water and will darken the cork for sure. Its also going to make a noticable feel difference in the handle. If feels slick at first but get your hand wet and I bet its tackier then plain cork. Has almost and antique look to it.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 29, 2015 08:29AM

Guys if you haven't tried this stuff you need to It's called briwax .[www.briwax.com] I use the un-tinted standard. It will darken your cork more then U-40 super easy to work with. After my final sanding I scoop a bit on my finger tips turn on the lathe and start smearing in on, Lighty grab hold of the spinning cork and let the friction heat it up and melt and soak in, If you want shine do the final buff with a T -shirt scrap. Matt finish can be achieved with a final buff with 000-0000 wool or fine scotch-brite. Lot of wood working stores sell it I had no problem finding it you can also get it whit stain in it. Give it a try I think you will like it. Ja

Date: May 01, 2015 01:01AM

Jay,

Not sure where you live but, I have a question for you. Here in Arizona we can have some 117 degree days out on the water. I like to fish the salt river here in the valley from time to time and had to stop using braided leaders because one of the ones I bought from orvis ended up having wax of some kind in it. It ended up all over my rod,my hands, my shirt, my pants, and everywhere else you can imagine. Then to top it off I can't get it to wash out. My only consern with briwax would be that its a wax. I know carnauba holds up just fine on cars out here but I would dare you to pick up a slab of bee's wax of my sidewalk in the summer. To make my really long story short, but only after I told my stories. Do you know if it will remelt at hi temps?

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 01, 2015 04:33AM

Hi Jim, Well I can tell you it holds up to 150 degres fine. I just tested it in my oven LOL, on it's lowest setting, grip went in for 20 mins. The only thing i noticed was I had it buffed out to a semi-gloss, After the oven it had more of a satin look which looks even better i think, It may have soaked in? Real rich looking No real rub off on a white paper towel It really makes the colors of my checker boards and grain of the cork POP I use natural and varying burnt corks in my layouts. The film it leaves is so thin I can't see were you would have it stain clothing. You will still get your tackier wet hand grip unlike plain cork. I reminds me alot like shoe polish, Actually shoe polish my work ?? And that doesn't wipe off after standing in the hot sun?. I am more of a wood turner then rod builder, I have a big Nova lathe that can turn up Huge 27 inch platters and bowls and things as well as 2 smaller dia longer machines set up with duplicators, that I turn fancy reproduction spindles on for Victorian era porches and stairways to match their originals. Your mileage may vary. Try some shoe polish ya can get that anywhere or Briwax they are both Friction polish, and lay up some samples and see how you like it. Jay

Date: May 01, 2015 10:51PM

I'm gonna give it a try. Like I said I was worried about the heat. Doesn't sound like thats a problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster