I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

need repair suggestion on rod thanks
Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.29.246.200.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: April 26, 2015 07:05PM

I need help repairing this rod. It looks to me like it wasnt glued well by Fenwick back in the day, this is an early graphite GFF series rod. The upper section is broken and is not glued to the blank. Sooo.......... how can I get epoxy or a good bonding glue into the loose section and make a decent repair?

Do I have to boil the bottom section, repair the part, then replace the entire handle, or, is there another way? Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 07:07PM by Jesse Shipe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need repair suggestion on rod thanks
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2015 08:46PM

Is it originally a 2 pc rod or a 1 pc. Why would the upper section be glued to the butt section? Why do you think you have to boil the bottom section? Does the grip or reel seat need to be replace? Kind of a confusing post. Clarity helps a lot in giving answers. Not trying to be disrespectful, but I don't really understand what you wish to do.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: April 27, 2015 06:02AM

x2 on what Randolph said or a photo would help to understand you problem

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.sub-70-192-129.myvzw.com)
Date: April 27, 2015 07:16AM

Sorry for the confusion, the grip is cracked and loose. I hope to post a pic, but that didnt work. Sorry...

Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.sub-70-192-129.myvzw.com)
Date: April 27, 2015 07:18AM

I would like to keep this original grip if possible.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2015 11:48AM

Jesse,
From your description, it sounds to me like you have a loose fore grip.
i.e. you ave a rear grip, a reel seat and a fore grip.

So, since many of the rods of today don't have fore grips, if it was my rod, I would just remove the fore grip, clean up the area, wrap that area with guide thread to cover the blank, call it a butt wrap and apply guide finish to the threads.
No real need for the fore grip on most rods, so, unless you actually have your hand on the fore grip, I would just remove it, cover the area and move on.

To remove the fore grip, I just use a pair of slip joint pliers and chew off the old grip. Once I get the grip mainly gone; I will use a bit of heat to soften the glue and then just use a sharp knife held at 90 degrees to the blank to remove the softened glue. Then, if necessary, use fine sand paper to clean up and smooth any remaining area before using thread to cover the area and coat with thread finish.

Take care

Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.cmts.brh.ptd.net)
Date: April 27, 2015 12:56PM

No, this is a 1 piece cork grip on a 6' 4wt fly rod. I want to preserve the grip. It basically broke about 3 inches from the hosel toward the reel seat section. (This handle is cork all the way to the butt). The break is clean, the broken part turns freely on the rod blank. The bottom section below the break is fine.

I want to repair this and keep it original looking.

I would like to post a pic, but I could not find the info here...

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2015 02:06PM

Sounds like all you should have to do is remove the broken section of cork. If there is a guide above the cork, remove it and slide the cork off the blank. True up the remaining portion of the grip, then glue the number of cork rings that you want on the blank, then shape them, re-wrap the guide or guides, finish and you are good to go.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 27, 2015 02:27PM

If it spins in place, maybe it will slide forward, remove the hosel, or see if you can get it to come loose and than glue it all back together. Cork clamp it, or rubber band it and let set for 6 to 12 hrs.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: April 27, 2015 02:30PM

I think I get the picture of what is wrong but a real pic wold help. If it's a clean break like you say you could get a syringe(many rod building suppliers carry them) and fill it with epoxy. paint a little epoxy on the joint then clamp together and then using the syringe pump some epoxy between the cork and the blank. you may have to drill a small hole into the cork to get the syringe in there and then patch it with some cork putty.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 27, 2015 02:34PM

I think the easiest way is what Spencer has posted keeping the old section if it fits well together

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 29, 2015 09:53AM

I have found that medical syringes, complete with needle (get the largest size they offer-try the pharmacy at big grocery stores) are less expensive than the ones sold for measuring epoxy by rodbuilding suppliers, and with the needle, repairs like this become more precise, and with a smaller hole if one is necessary. Once used with mixed epoxy in them the syringe will have to be carefully cleaned of all the epoxy or thrown away. If you have a needle, dispose properly.

I agree that you should be able to do this repair with no more disassembly than possibly the "hosel." You want to get the epoxy along the blank and onto the fracture area of the grip. If the adjacent area at the blank doesn't appear solidly glued, inject some there too. Any epoxy that gets onto the surface of the cork should be cleaned off before it cures with alcohol.

There also is the possibility that if the loose grip piece can be moved forward of its normal position, as Spencer mentions, you can use paste type epoxy, no syringe, which will be easier to work with than liquid.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 01:07AM

I think moving the hostle will be the best option. But if you decide to go the syringe method I would suggest not using 5 min epoxy and using thread finish instead. I tryed it once with 5min epoxy and a big needle. It is just way to thick to get it to work well. I would use a thin thread finish if I had to do it again.

Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.cmts.brh.ptd.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 11:11AM

Thanks to all. I will try to use the thread finish on this, it makes sense to me. The rod is in very nice shape otherwise, I don't want to mess it up. I like the old Fennies and want to keep it original.

These old Fenwick graphite rods have a nice slow action. I like to use them myself, less break offs and the timing of the cast forces me to slow down and think a little before I react. Im a hyper kind of guy, I actually land more fish with these rods over the more modern fast action rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster