I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best dollar for dollar fly reel
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2015 10:26AM

It's been a while, since I looked at fly reels. I'm asking for opinions, as to what is considered the best value, in fly reels. It's for a 5 wt trout rod. The customer has already spent more than her budget on the rod. So, we are looking for a quality reel, hopefully under $100.
Thanks for any advice.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best dollar for dollar fly reel
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.google.com)
Date: April 25, 2015 10:44AM

Anglers Roost. Hands down. I will stack them up against any reel on the market. Ultra smooth, light weight, Just a fantastic reel. The link is on the left.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2015 10:49AM

Victor Heal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anglers Roost. Hands down. I will stack them up
> against any reel on the market. Ultra smooth,
> light weight, Just a fantastic reel. The link is
> on the left.

Hi Victor, Are you referring to the Princess line? Which reel would you suggest for a 5/6 wt. line? What's the 202M like? Have you ever fished it? The prices are sure great and within my budget, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2015 10:55AM by Bruce Tomaselli.

Date: April 25, 2015 11:03AM

I was looking at the Angler's Roost offerings, as well. The prices sure look good.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.static.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: April 25, 2015 12:34PM

Have had excellent service from Pfleuger Trion reels, 12 years and still doing well. They were less than $100 by quite a bit when I bought mine, no idea what they are now.

Date: April 25, 2015 12:44PM

Thanks, Spencer. They are around $120, on-line. That price doesn't leave her money for line and backing. Although, I'm considering that reel for one of my own rods. Glad they've worked well for you.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2015 12:46PM by George Forster.

Posted by: Linda Vance (206.127.76.---)
Date: April 25, 2015 04:00PM

Allen Fly Reels are very nice at under $100, fully machined with a nice finish. If you visit their website (just google the name), you will get $10 off your first order. If you sign up for their mailing list, you'll get a 15% coupon. You can also get a new Orvis Battenkill at about $100 if you look around. One company I have dealt with even throws in a free line. I have it on my 4wt, and I have no trouble handling 15" fish with it. The important thing is to look for a machined reel. The tolerance in the diecast reels is usually a little higher than in the machined reels, and it's easy to get line caught between the spool and the casing. This is an issue with some of the Ross worldwide reels after awhile, which is why I don't recommend them even in their lower price range. I don't know how skilled your customer is, but if she is a beginning fly fisher, she is likely to find this frustrating.

Posted by: Chris Gappmayer (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 25, 2015 08:44PM

The Okuma SLV is a good reel for around $60. You can find it on sale cheaper if you're patient too. It is cast aluminum instead of machined which means it's not the lightest reel out there but I've been happy with mine. The echo ion is another good option.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2015 09:57PM

I really like my Aspen model 57 fly reel which is an older model that I bought on clearance for $75. It is cnc machined, made in the USA and built like a tank. Only drawbacks with it is that it is slightly heavier than many machined reels, but it balances well on longer rods, and the pop off spool is a little harder to use than a push button type. I just saw the newer version on a well known @#$%& site for $100.

I also think a slightly used Ross Cimarron, Teton Tioga, USA made Martin, Medalist or Orvis Battenkill is a big bang for the $. Sometimes they even have backing and a good fly line come with it.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 26, 2015 12:02AM

I don't know a lot about the fly reels above, but I do know about the Okuma reels, for the money you can't go wrong , there different grades, they are all good , each stile is a little better than the other, they are carried by a lot of the BIG box stores , even on the web, an don't forget Amazon .com , figure your postage in ordering an if you live near a big box store even better PS there is 3 or 4 different grades so look well a good line is more inportment than the reel it just holds the line an not very good drags [ don't need it on the
low weight roads , my 2 CTS.

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.google.com)
Date: April 26, 2015 09:20AM

I have recommended the 201 and the 202m on numerous occasions to my customers. I've never had a single complaint. I personally own a 202m as well and it is as nice as any reel I've ever had. In my regular job I have had the occasion to see and handle some very expensive big name reels. I keep going back to AR. You won't be disappointed.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: April 26, 2015 11:14AM

I agree with Vic.. Anglers Roost is hands down the best value in a fly reel.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 26, 2015 02:11PM

A reel should be one of the last things on the list of importance on a non saltwater setup. I would say you should spend the most on the rod, then the line after that. The reel is really only a glorified line holder. Basspro has there intruder model for $29.99 which apears to be the same model as AR's 302L at $35.95. If you have time to wait you can also order the same reel from china for $12-$15 with free shipping. But its gonna take 2 months or so to get it.

Date: April 26, 2015 04:00PM

Thanks everyone! I think we'll go with the Angler's Roost 202m. As I recall, Johnny is a fun guy to talk to and a good guy to do business with.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: eric zamora (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2015 04:21PM

NO!!!!!! i'll email my response since this is a rodbuilding forum, not fly reels :)

btw, no disrespect meant to AR. I just have an opinion on options :)

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 05:50PM by eric zamora.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: April 27, 2015 02:29PM

I was driving through Cortland, NY a couple weeks ago and stopped by the Cortland Factory Store, which was going out of business. The going out of business clearance prices on everything was dirt cheap. You might want to give them a call and see if they will ship or if it's just cash and carry now.

Posted by: P. Wayne Hart (---.cpe.citywest.ca)
Date: April 28, 2015 08:40PM

I'll add another vote to Anglers Roost - best value I have found. Purchased 8-10 of them in the large (4) size for spey rods. Own several Okuma SLV's and all have less the terrific drag.

I'll add another vote to Anglers Roost - best value I have found. Purchased 8-10 of them in the large (4) size for spey rods. Own several Okuma SLV's and all have less the terrific drag.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: April 30, 2015 07:35AM

Pick up a good old All American made Phfleuger Medalist 1494 for approx. 30.00 on @#$%&

Made in America, just a great blue collar fly real, I own 6 of them in different sizes from trout to muskie.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster