I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Good long cast trout Rod needed
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 24, 2015 07:29PM

looking for a good blank for throwing small inline spinners for trout and it needs to be in the 8 ft to 9 ft Lite or Untra Lite range any idea's on a good blank for this Rod ???

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good long cast trout Rod needed
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2015 08:23PM

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Possibly one of these.
Although they are only 7 feet, they do a very good job of casting light spinners a very long way.

It would be easy to extend one of these by a foot, if you wanted to. The butt and tip, though, are ideal for lobbing these lures, gently at a distance for those spooky trout.

I have built a lot of rods on some of these blanks for a myriad of applications, including the one you ask about and they all work well for the various applications.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.static.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: April 25, 2015 12:56AM

Schneider's Rod Shop has some of the IST1081 & SH 1081 Batson Rainshadow blanks on sale. 4-8 lb. line, 1/16 - 3/8 Oz. lure range. Pac Bay also has a blank, same length and power in the Traditions II series.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 25, 2015 07:30AM

Offer Withdrawn

Glenn,
I have a CTS blank that a customer abandoned.
It is a Elite SD 9'0", 4pc, rated for .2oz to .7oz. But I tested it and he sweet spot is near the lower limit.

You can test it if you would like. Price would be below my cost.
Herb

From the CTS site:
Medium Fast Action, Light, Sensitive : 7'0" - 10'6"

Made from our highest grade carbons and coupled with our unique VeroCore Carbon Helical core, the Elite SD range is super sensitive with exceptional power to weight ratio.

The latest versions use a new style of tip taper to further lighten this area and increase the power, making for a lively and sensitive action to detect the finest of strikes. The mid area is progressive, loading the powerful butt section evenly for greater casting distance. Based on our finesse style systems, the SD is perfect for casting and working small lures off the beach, stray lining off the rocks and other land based situations.

The SD series is becoming one of our most popular models in the the 7?- 8? range for working delicate streams where precise lure control from the slightly stiffer tip area and broader loading provides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 10:09AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2015 03:08PM

Personally, I would prefer a 5/6 wt. fly rod blank in S-glass in a 9 foot range. Forgiving and a lot of fun.

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2015 08:10PM

I like the rainshadow rx7 for lite ultra lite 3w. accurate casting and easy on the soft mouths, loads of fun.
It will also handle the occational big fish as well with fanes
Curt.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 27, 2015 02:35PM

3 wt. is usually lighter powered than even the lightest ultralight blank, the ones I have CCd fall more in the 5/6 wt. range. The fly blanks also, for me anyway, throw things with a bit higher trajectory than a gear specific blank will, a little more rainbow effect in the cast. I use fly blanks only if I need a multi-piece blank I can't find in a gear blank, which is a lot easier to do now days than it used to be.

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2015 12:54PM

I've had good results building spinning rods from fast action fly blanks, but my preference would be one of the steelhead blanks from CTS, Rainshadow or MHX etc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster