I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tommy Tape & TN Handle Question
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 23, 2015 05:56PM

Thinking of ordering some Tommy Tape for my next TN Handle build. Any tips on using it?

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tommy Tape & TN Handle Question
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2015 06:01PM

Posted by: Nate Nelson (107.77.89.---)
Date: April 23, 2015 06:19PM

It will work but I wil warn you that the reel seat will dent the cork. I used it on some ice rods and while it works good I went back to electrical tape (the good stuff) and like it more myself because it is a slimmer profile and is more comfortable in my hand. All that said, it will work great and keep the reel very secure.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: April 24, 2015 02:37AM

About a decade ago I was advised by Tommy Tape that it was also available at Home Depot under the name Stretch and Seal. You will typically find it in the plumbing department. Similar tapes might also be available from your local hardware store. Our local hardware store carries a similar tape in variety colors.

I have found it necessary to finish each end of a wrap with electrical tape. On one occasion I shipped my rod ahead and received it at the hotel. Upon opening the container I was surprised to find a large red o-ring on the butt end. The vibration during shipping had caused the tape to roll over on itself and create the o-ring.

Don

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 02:40AM by Donald Becker.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 24, 2015 03:39AM

roger wilson Wrote: It will work but I will warn you that the reel seat will dent the cork. Wouldn't that have to do with how tight you wrap it? Or does it shrink? I am building 2 Tn grips now and was planing to use this also? I have used the hard dark burnt cork rings on the grip were the reel will be mounted, I have a roll on it's way from amazon. I would think the {reel seat} would dent regular cork even with hockey tape if it was to tight? Or am I best to scrap this stuff for attaching the reel? Thanks Ja

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 24, 2015 06:56AM

I have had the reel foot dent regular cork when using electrical tape too. With the burnt cork it should help a lot. And the dent is just a little impression, I did not find it to be a big deal.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.mtjltn.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: April 24, 2015 10:46AM

You can add a poker chip or two (Rich Forhan trick) in the cork to give the reel foot something hard to rest on. Other materials could work too. I just put a piece of strapping tape on each end on the foot and that locks it down well. I cover this with regular black tape. These have both been covered in RM and on here.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (107.77.89.---)
Date: April 24, 2015 11:39AM

Jay Dubay - I think it all comes down to personal preference. I wrap my electrical tape pretty right too so I'm sure it will leave a dent but I like the feel of it better as it has a slimmer profile on the handle. One thing I always do is out painters tape on the cork, under the reel foot, before I wrap the electrical tape. This helps preserve the cork from pulling out pits when you unwrap. I really like the yellow Frog Tape because it is a very light adhesive and come off easily. I would give it a try and if for any reason you don't like it that Tommy Tape is great to have around!

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 24, 2015 02:53PM

Thanks guys, I'm really not to worried about dents in the cork as these are personal rods I'm building on the Baston 822.5 blanks for walleye jigging. I really don't care for reel seats when the weather gets cold here in Mi so I kind of shy away from them. I thought I would try the Tommy tape instead of the hockey tape I used in the past. Thanks Ja

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: April 24, 2015 03:48PM

Tommy Tape and equivalents stretch and may be better suited to providing a grip surface over PVC tape.

Don Becker

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2015 01:15PM

Jay,
I think that you might be happier with plastic electrical tape compared to hockey tape. I don't like any sort of thick or sticky tape under my hand. I always consider hockey to be both thick and sticky. Great for grips, but not for my rod handles.

As others have said, Where I am going to have tape on the cork handle, I will always put a double wrap of tape on the handle that always stays on the handle. Then, if a reel is added or removed, that tape stays on the cork and protects that part of the cork handle from having any cork pulled out of the grip by the adhesive on the tape. When using tape for tennessee grips, I always keep a roll of tape in my tackle box, so that if I decide to change a reel, or if the tape begins to come loose, I can quickly strip off the old tape and wrap on fresh tape.

As others have said, when using a grip like you suggest, I like as little extra build up on the grip as possible. Hence the use of the plastic electric tape for reel holding on the grip.

Take care

Posted by: Brandon Tipps (---.dllstx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 26, 2015 10:37PM

I love Tennessee grips on my crappie rods, and won't use anything else after building different ones and trying different seats. I actually use a file and create a flat spot in cork where my reel will set so it is recessed. I file and check, and as soon as the fee foot is flush with cork I stop. I didn't do this on the first couple, but when I finally did, man it's like the reel and cork were made together. And I've tried the Tommy tape, and after the edges started lifting then sticking back to itself, I pulled it off. Now I only use a few wraps of reinforced packing tape, then finish with 3M electrical. Tough to beat. Stretch tape tight when wrapping until the end, loose wrap so it doesn't pull itself and expose adhesive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster