I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon Fiber Grip questions
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 22, 2015 03:10PM

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of building a split grip carbon fibre grip. It's the 3rd one I have done now. I very much like the look and feel. I have two questions.

1. After wet layup how soon can you apply another coat of epoxy?
2. What are most people finishing the butt end off with?

My grip save a very red colour so I was hoping to not use a black rubber cap.

Thanks

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon Fiber Grip questions
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 22, 2015 04:02PM

This one is just a black plastic plug from NAPA.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

This is my favorite way. A Mudhole black rubber CRB butt cap.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 22, 2015 04:19PM

Go to Mudhole Under Butt Caps and Gimbles There are several in red ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2015 04:42PM

You can apply more epoxy as soon as the previous one isn't so tacky that you disturb it or that it "grabs" your application tool.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 22, 2015 04:49PM

I would say let it become Tack Free If your finger does not stick to the handle it is ready
If you try to be in a hurry you can mess it up them have to let it dry and sand
Just like you would on a guide wrap Tack free

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Tulk (184.151.178.---)
Date: April 22, 2015 06:02PM

Thanks everyone for their help. Very much appreciated!

I wait until later tonight for a second coat. That will give it a solid 8-10 hours.

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2015 06:13PM

I like these rubber butt plugs in the 3/8th. Pretty sure that the first grips I bought from Riley Rods had these.
[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Chris Tulk (184.151.178.---)
Date: April 22, 2015 07:07PM

Hi Jerry

mybgrips are cherry red. I am trying to find a red rubber plug. I have poured my own epoxy caps in the past. I may have to do that for this build also. Problem is they scratch over time.

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.193.96.---)
Date: April 25, 2015 08:25PM

I've stopped using epoxy to make grips, I'm using a Vinyl Ester Resin to build my grips instead. You can mount the sleeve and build up another 3 coats of finish in less than eight hours. I sand level and polish to a high gloss with in 36 hours of the first coat of resin. As for the butt caps I've been turning my own out of rubberized cork, EVA and will use Alps components to cap the carbon fiber grips.

Here's a couple of photos of the butt caps that I use.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 29, 2015 05:55PM

Re the way to finish the butt cap, O'Reilly auto parts has a product in their panel fasteners display, a little clear "box" a lot like a lure box, that contains two different rubber "bumpers." One has a diameter of about 5/8 inch, is not thick, but goes onto the butt very unobtrusively, regardless of the color of the basic butt knob. Take a look.

I have used these a number of times, and while I have no data on how well they hold up, I expect they will do well. I do two things before glueing them into position. I wipe them very thorougly with alcohol to remove any mold release, which is on any rubber molded product. Then I sand the underneath face of the bumper and the "carrot" retainer with 150 grit sandpaper to enhance the grip of epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster