I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

U 40 Dura Gloss LS Supreme
Posted by: Edgars Eglitis (212.93.115.---)
Date: April 20, 2015 02:11PM

So today I worked with U 40 Dura Gloss LS Supreme and was unpleasantly surprised - pot worked fine aprox. 15 min, than loses viscosity. I can use it a little bit longer if I warm my pot but it works only 2 min. So I would likr to ask where could be prblem? I heated both parts before with warm water etc. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U 40 Dura Gloss LS Supreme
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2015 02:32PM

If your place is warm - Cool it off Not 32 but 50 or so will help it to stay wet longer Also when you heat any finish it will set faster Then you may be mixing Too long and working too slow ??? I read it is said to have a pot life of 30 - 45 min

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2015 02:41PM

Warming the epoxy only thins it very temporarily. Then the additional heat causes the epoxy to set more quickly, actually decreasing pot life.

You want a cooler working temperature, not warm. Although, keep in mind that below maybe 65F epoxy will be a bit thicker and harder to work with on small areas.

Date: April 20, 2015 03:08PM

The U 40 is said to be a med - viscosity finish so I would dare say it is Kind Of A Lighter finish ?? But not a light That is like mod-fast med- fast what are they

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2015 12:45PM

Edgar, I use LS Supreme as well, and as everyone has suggested, I think it's the heating you're doing to the mixed epoxy. It's causing it to set up quicker.

A few weeks ago I had a problem with bubbles forming in my first coat of finish. I had heated the resin pre mixing to make it easier to draw into the syringe. That heat was there when I mixed the two parts. I thought the bubbles were caused by my finish being warm and my finish room being cool. Probably under the 65 degrees that Tom mentioned.

When I went to put my second coat on I increased my finishing rooms temperature to probably somewhere near 80 degrees as well as warmed the mixed epoxy in a container of hot water. My second coat bubbled as well.

I believe my problem was two fold. One being, the speed at which I applied the epoxy was slow. I used my rod dryer to turn the rod while applying the finish and it only turns at 6 RPM. By the time I got to the end of the wraps the finish was setting up causing greater surface tension, which wasn't letting any bubbles escape. And two. I had heated the mixed epoxy which as others have said, lessens its pot life.

I had done guides on a few rods the year before and hadn't had a bubble at all in any of the wraps. And I didn't heat the finish then and the room I did the finishing in was probably right around the 65 degrees that Tom mentioned.

Date: April 22, 2015 01:38PM

I use FlexCoats UV finish seems to be a new formula Nice
I was applying at 70 RPM And tried the slow speed of 16 RPM That 16 drove me crazy To slow So with a little work I got my machine to turn at about 40 rpm I think this will be nice

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2015 03:31PM

The only reason that I have ever needed to heat epoxy finish is when the resin turns cloudy, then I let it cool back down to room temperature before mixing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster