I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Filing guides
Posted by: Jim Howell (---.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: April 19, 2015 12:58PM

In rod building the devil is in the details. I have a question as I try to hit the next level. I file the top of the guide leg, the bottom and the sides with my hand grinder. Of course the purpose is to have the thread progress smoothly up the guide. I think that I am making my guide points to sharp as it seems to cut the thread. Could some of you more experienced builders share with me how you file the guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Filing guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2015 01:48PM

If it's cutting the thread you have a burr or "up" edge on it. Use a piece of crocus cloth or similar to dress down any burrs before wrapping.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 19, 2015 01:58PM

I use knife sharpners flat diamon type of different grades an real fine crocus cloth for the finish ,
works great foe me

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2015 02:16PM

It sounds like you don't have guide feet that sit perfectly flat on the blank. You can very slightly bend the foot down if it looks like there is a slight gap between the tip of the foot and the blank. Just don't bend it so much that the sharp tip will dig into the blank.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 19, 2015 02:21PM

Jim

A quick test to see if the guide foot is smooth is to run a Q-tip over the foot. A smooth guide will not pick up any cotton fuzz off the Q-tip.

What works for me is, I use a Dremel tool with a stone wheel to grind the foot down then I hand dress the guide feet with aluminum oxide 320 grit paper and check for burrs.

John

Posted by: Jim Howell (---.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: April 19, 2015 04:04PM

Thanks for all the tips. I have been using the Dermal but sounds like I have not been doing the proper finishing work with the crocus clothe or alum oxide fine grit. I will try that.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2015 11:07PM

I use a belt sander for sanding and a holder made from a machine screw and a piece of blank to hold the guide.
A couple of passes on each side cleans up the guides very nicely.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2015 08:18AM

Jim,

I, too, use a Dremel Tool for my guide feet; but I use the Polishing Wheel #425 on the Dremel tool, rather than a grinding wheel. The polishing wheel works outstanding for shaping the guide feet and will not leave any burrs. It is not only a polishing wheel; but it can cut into the guide foot, so all it takes is a quick, smooth pass over the toe of each guide foot. It even works on titanium guides.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 08:20AM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 20, 2015 01:42PM

I use chainsaw chain sharpening files for the bottom of the guide foot. Then I use small needle files to shape the tops of the feet and fine tune and de-burr with a "flex - i - file" from Micro Mark hobby supplier.

Rog

Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2015 12:56PM

The majority of guide frames on the market are pre-ground, additional grinding will only make your wrapping job easier, making the guide foot too sharp is one of the reason we stress not over grinding in our classes. Realistically you should only have to take material off of the top of the foot to "smooth" the transition from the blank to guide foot, if you are making them that sharp you may be taking more material off than necessary. That being said, when I grind guides I rub the bottom of the guide foot over one of my fingernails, if there is a burr on the bottom of the foot you can feel it or it will scratch your nail...The Q-Tip check mentioned by John earlier is a great idea as well.

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc.
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Posted by: Robert Moody (---.par.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 22, 2015 09:10PM

the hot setup for me seems to be a small hand held power grinder from a beauty shop.used in pedicures It is a variable speed and you can smooth the top and sides to eliminate the problem you are having. For years I have used a polishing wheel on my stationary shop grinder which does a good job but it gets a little hairy when trying to grind down the feet on really small guides, but with the portable nail grinder you have no problems. I made the same mistake on my first builds that you are making. You just need a slight transition on the guide foot to wrap smoothly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster