I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide as Tip on Fly Rod
Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: April 18, 2015 09:15AM

I'm a big fan of using a minima guides on my fly rods and as a tip top. I've had no problems on my 5 wt. or 8 wt. But, I'm wondering if the same would hold true for a heavier weight rod like 10/11 that would be used in saltwater for bonefish, permit, tarpon, peacock bass etc.? I'm assuming it would work fine. But, we know about assuming. I'm not usually fishing for, or, catching fish the size that you might tie into in the salt. Smallmouth fight hard. But, not quite the hurt that some of these fish can put on equipment. Maybe somebody out there has some experience with this situation.
Thanks
Todd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide as Tip on Fly Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 18, 2015 04:19PM

I use Minima guides on all my fly rods now, and for the past few years, in fact.

If you have qualms about the guide durability, use the double foot casting version for your running guides. I would install an SIC ceramic tiptop.

Date: April 18, 2015 07:28PM

I don't have any questions about their durability. I like the high framed Minimas for the stripping guides.
I just don't like the Minima tips because they're not stainless framed and they're heavier than the titanium tips. But, a Minima guide as a tip top is even 1/2 the weight of the titanium tip. So, the reduced weight at the tip is a plus. I use a few locking wraps and haven't had any problems with the guide moving.
But, I haven't put them to the test that some of the fish I mentioned would put them under. Just wondering if it would stand up to the stress. Not the guide itself. But, the technique.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 18, 2015 09:31PM

Todd: What size minima would you use as an 8 wt. tip-top and how do you make your connection between fly line and leader?

Date: April 18, 2015 09:35PM

I got size #6 running guides and same for tip. Connection is loop to a furled leader.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 19, 2015 10:26PM

Todd: Is your connection loop-to-loop or a nail knot? The diameter of the leader-to-line connection becomes critical with 8 wt. and up fly lines and necessarily thick leader butts when you use small diameter guides and tip-tops.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.scansafe.net)
Date: April 20, 2015 11:25AM

It's a loop to loop connection which I think may be more bulky than the nail knot. Haven't had any problems with size #6 runners or tip with the 8 wt. line. I would figure on size #7 runners and tip on a 10/11 wt. Could even use a size #8 guide for tip if need a bit larger.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2015 05:27PM

I use Minima's exclusively for my personal rods. For rods that will consistently throw 8 wt lines and up, I use size 7 runners and a size 8 tip top guide that I wrap using a slightly modified Forhan locking wrap. I have plenty of clearance for bulky loops, but I prefer nail knots as my line/leader connection.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 23, 2015 08:10AM

Sounds good.
I'm surprised more folks haven't chimed in. I figured more would see the benefits of using a guide in place of a standard tip tops.
Still kind of wondering how it will hold up to big game fish. I'm guessing if wrapped and finished properly, will hold up as well as a standard tip.

Posted by: David McDonough (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2015 01:25AM

Todd,

I'm a big fan too of using a single foot guide (the same as the "runners") instead of a normal tip top. I been doing it for a long time on all my rods (Spinning and fly). I've never had an issue. I see no downside other than it's a little awkward to bind , but not difficult, and it looks a little different. The single foot guide plus the binding and epoxy is much lighter than a conventional tip top and I think it has a substantial difference on the rod's performance.

I like the Minima's too and use them almost every rod. I tried as small as #4 on fly rods but found they were too small for the connections. Now I use #5 on most fly rods. For 10/11# I'd probably use #6. That will give you a much wider opening than a #6 guide with a ceramic insert.

Posted by: David McDonough (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2015 01:28AM

Todd,

I'm a big fan too of using a single foot guide (the same as the "runners") instead of a normal tip top. I been doing it for a long time on all my rods (Spinning and fly). I've never had an issue. I see no downside other than it's a little awkward to bind , but not difficult, and it looks a little different. The single foot guide plus the binding and epoxy is much lighter than a conventional tip top and I think it has a substantial difference on the rod's performance. (I don't understand why tip tops even exist except for maybe heavy saltwater rods.)

I like the Minima's too and use them almost every rod. I tried as small as #4 on fly rods but found they were too small for the connections. Now I use #5 on most fly rods. For 10/11# I'd probably use #6. That will give you a much wider opening than a #6 guide with a ceramic insert.

Posted by: jason vandeusen (---.static.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 24, 2015 02:06PM

I also have been using single foot guides as the tip top on all my personal rods. I have never had a problem with the fuji Hardloys or Alconites, solid Titanium Fujis also have been good.

I am also building a 11' 9/10 WT Switch rod right now and it uses Three solid Titanium Batson Stripper guides and all the rest of the guides are Pac Bay Titanium Minima's including the tip top as a single foot fly guide.

I did find the Minima's to be a bit too flexible to my taste, I was able to bend the guide very easily with just my fingers and I am not sure just how durable they will be on this heavier rod. I am assumming the Minima's as suppossed to flex like that on purpose. Its almost like these guides are actually a Titanium alloy and not solid Titanium like the Fujis.

We will see how this pacbay Ti Minima holds up as a tip top.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster