I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

power outage!
Posted by: jason vandeusen (---.static.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 16, 2015 05:55PM

Today while finishing up my Seeker 1056 Great Lakes Trolling rod build I had a freak power outage while turning the long tip section, I was about 2 hours into the cure cycle on the Flex Coat High Build epoxy. I admit it, I panicked. I feverishly tried to convert over to hand turning by re-arranging my drying box set up, well it did not work out so well in the dark, and i ended up bumping the very middle guide on something and smearing the epoxy all to heck.

So I would like to know two things:

1. Should I sand the guide and go for a third coat or should I strip the guide and completely start over on that guide. Any reccommendations on this?

2. Anyone else have any power outage stories?

A delivery truck ended up knocking out my power pole, almost broke it in half. In less than two hours a brand new pole was brought in and power restored, im impressed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: power outage!
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2015 05:57PM

Well, you can always try a little sanding and a third coat of epoxy. If that doesn't work you still have the option to strip, rewrap and refinish. It's only one guide.

Date: April 16, 2015 06:10PM

Has anyone else had a power outage while rod building?

Did you panick?

Epoxy is still very difficult for me, I still have a bit of nervousness when applying it, so anything that goes wrong just affects me even more. I am getting better slowly.

Date: April 16, 2015 06:16PM

If I had actually used my brain I could have avoided this whole issue. What i should have done was went over to the drying motor and back off the tip section off its masking tape arbor near the female end, and then it would have been converted to a hand turner, instead I panicked and tried to re-invent the wheel, and just made things worse.

It is just one guide though, I guess I can live with that.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 06:31PM

sand it an do it again new coat , you can cut the big lumps an sand the small ones or remove it all an re wrap like suggested above

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2015 06:41PM

As someone that has never used any sort of turning device on my custom rods, you need to relax a bit and realize that even a power failure isn't going to spoil the epoxy. At least if you're aware it's happened.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 09:38PM

Any time that I have ever had something go wrong with a dryer - a few times, I always remove the guide and associated junk, rewrap, refinish and redry.

Good luck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 17, 2015 08:27AM

Depending on how bad it messed up
Scoff the lombs carefull not to go into the thread Another coat and it should flow out and look good Nail files work well Can be split in two if to thick

I used to get excited about everything Now O Well Things happen Just relax and think of how can I fix this
Took a rod off the dryer to early Stood it up Well the finish saged nicely Took nail files sanded it down Took a while another coat came out nice

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Shawn Grimm (130.76.186.---)
Date: April 17, 2015 11:24AM

In an emergency you could use a cordless drill. Attach the butt end to the chuck and then wrap a ziptie around the trigger. SLOWLY tighten until it just starts moving.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.mtjltn.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: April 17, 2015 12:19PM

If it had been two hours it might have been set enough to do fine. Although sticky it should have pretty well set as far as sags go?

Date: April 17, 2015 02:17PM

The finish was barely starting to set and it was still very sticky when the error occured.

I cutt off the epoxy that was making the small hills and then I recoated the wrap today, it looks good.

The main problem was the small hairs that the epoxy picked up when the wrap brushed against the rod support, I dont have a roller system yet, just felt covered supports.

Once that cures all I have to do is add a small plug to the male section to keep out moisture and debris, then the rod is done.

This rod was a lot of work and some unique challenges cropped up, the Seeker 1056 blank arrived with very deep sratches just below the male furrel. This has happened to me on 3 different seeker blanks from two different vendors and always the scratches in the same area. I ended up re coating the blank Skip Morris style with two very thin coats of Polyurethane, That process took quite awhile but the rod blank looks very nice now. I also had to build a custom tapered reamer to ream out the foregrip wich was very large ID and that took time as well. A brand new 6501 C3 will go on this rod.

Hope to have it out in a few weeks.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 17, 2015 02:53PM

Hello Jason.

I live out in the woods and the power has gone off many times, so I just start to turn the rod (motor and all) every few minutes just like I did before I got a lathe or dryer, just turn the motor by hand every time it looks like it is starting to sag or once every 10 minutes (if I don't notice a sag) until completely sure that it won't sag.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.sub-70-199-17.myvzw.com)
Date: April 17, 2015 04:53PM

I have plans to buy one of those cheap computer battery back-ups. I think it would solve all of the possible power failure issues. Right now, I won't coat a rod if there are storms in the area.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 17, 2015 05:19PM

Had a dryer motor die on me. Had a couple of rods with wet epoxy (so I was freaking...rare time I was building for someone else and had a due date). Had no choice but to turn both (at the same time) by hand. Actually think they came out better than when turned by dryer. Maybe our host Tom is on to something:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: April 20, 2015 03:42PM

If the epoxy ran outside of your desired wrap area or onto the guide, then cut it off, clean it up and redo it. If it's more like you dragged partially hardened finish into a big glob and the blank and guide foot is clean, then i'd try for a repair first.

I would use a set of snips to trim 1/2 of a dual edge shaving razor so it fits into an exacto knife handle. They are much sharper and thinner than exacto or single edge blades. Cut away high spots and then carefully shave the finish down close to the thread. As long as you don't knick the thread you should be good. It doesn't have to be perfect, just get the high spots knocked down. Then recoat and you should be good.

If you nick the thread, you can always strip it and redo.

I don't like sanding small areas like this, especially if some of the thread is bare of finish. It's difficult to sand in such small detailed areas. You run the risk of scratching the blank or the guide with the edge of the sandpaper or fraying exposed thread. A blank or guide scratch are more serious and permanent than nicking your thread and having to re wrap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster