I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank coating coming off G.Loomis rod
Posted by: John Segal (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 03:31PM

I have just purchased a 17 year old custom-built G.Loomis GL3 fly rod (F1175-B blank). There were some white deposits on the blank, under most of the guides, presumably from salt water use, since the rod was used on the beach for many years. The white deposts came off with luke warm water and a toothbrush, but at one guide, so did some of the flat black top coat, revealing an area of dark grey bare blank. With my thumb nail, I can chip off more of more of the flat black top coat.
Is there a flat black coating available to touch this up, or perhaps a flat clear coating that I could apply to the the edges of the chipped finish, or even the entire blank, to protect it from further chipping? The G.Loomis company have told me that they do not have anything.
Any help would be most appreciated, as this is a terrific rod in otherwise excellent condition, and I want to use it on the beach.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank coating coming off G.Loomis rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 03:40PM

I would want my dam money back Periot You bought this rod You have problems with it pealing
Return it ???

Was this rod to be Perfict - or did you buy it under the understanding it had flaws ???

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2015 04:19PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2015 04:23PM

If you just have that one bad spot, I'd consider some matte blank enamel paint. Just enough to cover the bad spot plus a tiny margin beyond, up and onto the earliest area of sound paint.

I assume we're taking about a very small area? If so, I wouldn't recommend coating the entire blank. It's not necessary and will only add weight and perhaps even ruin the performance of a rod you seem to like. Equally, if the factory paint is coming off, putting something on top of that won't fix the original bond between the blank and factory paint. But again I'll assume we're only talking about a very small area.

Date: April 16, 2015 04:27PM

Bill, I bought this rod from a close friend, as is, at a good price. I won't be returning it, so I'd just like to stop any further peeling. I have to scrape pretty hard with my thumb nail to peel it any more, so maybe it'll be fine.

Date: April 16, 2015 04:30PM

Yes, Tom, it's a very small area, about half an inch by half an inch, directly underneath the snake guide. Thanks for the suggestion of the enamel paint.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 04:36PM

If you like the rod - Then repair the spot
Us the rod and after time if needed redo the rod Maybe just a bad spot - But you did say you had to put pressure for the paint to come off ???
Like Tom said fit it I say then use it Move on

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 16, 2015 04:52PM

Thanks for your advice, Bill. I'll do the small touch up, and see how it looks over time.

Posted by: james devine (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2015 06:46PM

I have done a couple repairs as Tom suggested using Testor's enamel model paint. It worked very well.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 09:49PM

I would just do an excellent job in cleaning the blank and then continue to use the rod in its current condition. This is a rod with character and history. The slight removal of parts of the rod finish does not affect the rod at all, but just adds a bit of history to the rod.

Date: April 21, 2015 01:59PM

James, thanks for the specific paint to use.
Roger, you make a great point. This rod does indeed have history. Another friend built this rod specifically for our local beach fishery, and donated it to Trout Unlimited for their annual fundraiser banquet. My other friend, who I just bought it from, won it at that raffle. He used it for many years as his favourite beach trout rod, until he switched to double handed rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster