I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inexpensive guide set suggestions, please?
Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 10:21PM

Building some rods specifically for inshore kayak fishing for our local kayak shop. They'll be used by clients we guide, many of whom are very new to kayak fishing. So I'm looking for suggestions for inexpensive but durable guide sets. Mostly targeting slot reds, trout, and some smaller bluefish.

7' baitcasting rod, rated 8-17lb

7'6" spinning rod, rated 6-12lb

Will be primarily fishing with braid.

Can y'all offer some suggestions? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inexpensive guide set suggestions, please?
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 10:43PM

Hi Kevin,

I would use the Pac bay Minima 4 guides. They work, are very reasonably priced and best yet is that the rings can not pop out. Don't let the metal ring trouble you. You can use braid with these guides. I rewrapped 24 party boat rods with the Minima 4 guides. 5 years later they are still in use and not one has been returned for service.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2015 07:29AM by Capt Neil Faulkner.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 01:17AM

I would second Neil's advice I used them almost excursively until MicroWave came along. I have a few rods of my own that were made years ago & despite my son's best efforts none of them have failed

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2015 06:35AM

Capt. Neil,

Did you use the Minima tip tops with those rods, or a ceramic tip top? The reason I ask is that while not the Pac Bay Minima guides, I've had a similar style metal ring tip top groove on an UL panfish rod, and have been leery of using a Minima style tip top since. If the Minima tip tops are taking the abuse of party boat rods, I might be able to rest a little easier and start using some of the tip tops as well.

Thanks,

Joe

Date: April 16, 2015 07:32AM

Hi Joe,

I have used the Minima tip tops on every rod that used the guides. I use them on my own rods and also customer rods. Have not had a rod come back for tip top problems. They work. Sometimes hard to convince people that they do work.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 07:38AM

Thanks, guys. This is very helpful. Did a search on these after reading Capt Neil's first reply. On here there is a suggestion for a different tip that matches the guides pretty well. I'm gonna try them with the Minima tip. It's an easy fix if I need to switch them later.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.239.---)
Date: April 16, 2015 10:27AM

Agree on easy fix, just check now and then. I use only SIC tiptops, only a couple bucks more and very capable. I've had what I think are hardloys groove.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.rcm-wpa1.kent.edu)
Date: April 16, 2015 10:32AM

Thanks Capt Neil,

Great to know. It's always been the tip tops that have held me back a bit. I've put them on rods for others when appropriate, but with a ceramic tip top. I'll be putting a set on a personal rod shortly as well.

Joe

Posted by: John Lentz (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 12:13PM

Captain Neil,

I know a party boat captain and mate looking to re-wrap about 40 rods for inshore fishing seabass, flounder and occasionally tog. Do you think the XT4XG Minimas would hold up to this kind of fishing and if not is there another Minima guide would you recommend?

John

Date: April 16, 2015 12:37PM

Hi John,

Yes, two dozen rods that I used as a test half are used on a party boatout of Port Jefferson on Long Island Sound and the other half are on a party boat out of Captree on the south side of long island in the ocean. Many times being used with 6-8 oz sinkers for fluke, sea bass, porgys, tog, blues and bass.

I stay as best as I can with the Minima 4's as the ring flange flairs around both sides of the frame. The Minima 3's are a bit different ring design but in all fairness I have not had any of those come back.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: John Lentz (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 12:41PM

Thanks Capt Neil, I will give them a try.

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster