I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

printer setting 4 decals
Posted by: Mike Vereckey (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2015 08:25PM

My old POS printer did fine... now I have this new 'photo quality' brother printer... MFC-J8700w

Im have trouble printing decals... all come out smeared and with cracks.

I've tried many settings... anyone have suggestion on what settings to try?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: printer setting 4 decals
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 08:42PM

What is your printing surface?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2015 08:50PM

You to match the ink settings to the paper type and it may take a bit of experimentation. I'm not familiar with the Brother Printer software so I can't specifically direct you to the right setting. If the paper you're using is slick, glossy paper, try the "photo paper - glossy" setting. If that won't work, try "photo paper - matte." And if that won't do it, see if the software has a setting for "transparencies." One of those should do it.

Date: April 16, 2015 08:14AM

thanks... my printer has settings 'other glossy' and 'transparncy' . ive matched both settings with my printer properties of photo paper, plain paper and transparencies... ive tried 10 plus combos and all are not even close... very smeared. The paper is Laser jet waterslide decal paper. I have both clear background and white.

Ive printed successful with peel and stick decal, but so far not with waterslide..... Any vendors that will print for me??

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 10:05AM

Just an observation but the printer you listed, MFC-J8700w, is an ink jet printer. But you say you're using Laser jet paper so that may be your problem. Get a hold of ink jet waterslide decal paper and that should clear up your problem.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: John Locke (---.dupont.com)
Date: April 16, 2015 11:56AM

Agree 100% with Chad, Laser ink systems and Ink Jet ink systems use very different chemistries. Get some ink jet compatible substrate and you'll be good to go.

John (worked on ink jet inks for almost 10 years)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2015 01:15PM

Good call, guys. That could very well be the root of the problem.

Date: April 16, 2015 01:34PM

thanks so much Chad..... 100% correct... wrong paper... using laser instead of ink jet... thanks. Frustration leads to not looking at the obvious!!!!

Thanks for all the responses

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2015 01:40PM by Mike Vereckey.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster