I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish questions.
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 08:14PM

I have been at this for some time, but recently feel like I have been snake bit on running finish. I have used Flex Coat finish for 30 years. I am currently using the lite build. I have used the peel and stick decals on my last 2 rods. I have had fisheyes, and wavy finishes on both. I called the company that makes the decals, and they suggested CP over the decal. I did this and got the "amine blush" and more fisheyes. I ran 3 coats of CP over 2 days, so there was plenty of time between coats for it dry between coats. I am very careful about keeping any oil contamination out of my building area. I use an alcohol torch to break bubbles. I have tried using the hair drier, and heat gun, I always got dust blown into the finish (that was before the last 2 rods). I have read the Tom Kirkman articles on running finish, and follow these as close as I can for my set up. I am at a loss, Help.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish questions.
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 08:32PM

The first thing that comes to mind is the Decals It seems it all started with them ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 08:41PM

I us e Decal Connection, and they only time I had fish eyes was when I inadvertently put my fingers on the decal surface and must have transferred some oil from my skin. Amine blush usually means some moisture.

Date: April 15, 2015 08:42PM

Bill: I thought of this, but they are from a supplier on list, and no one else seems to have a problem with them.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2015 08:47PM

These things can be tough to track down sometimes. Have you had good results with those decals previously? Or was this your first experience with them?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 08:58PM

Did any one wax a car Even outside around an opened window it will come in
Or
Did the wife polish any furniture before you used the finish Could be that simple

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 15, 2015 09:14PM

Tom: The last 2 rods were my first experience with these decals, and I called the supplier about the problem. They were the ones that said try the CP.

Bill: I have been doing rods in the same area for 20 years, and didn't have much of a problem with fisheyes before. They were always small, and I could fill them in when the finish got a little thicker. I would think that if it was contamination, it would be all over the rod, and not just over the decal.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2015 09:33PM

The decals certainly need to be coated with something as smooth, shiny surfaces can tend to repel epoxy. If CP isn't working, you might try some sort of clear acrylic spray. Krylon is one source.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 10:06AM

Mike,

I coat my decals with a couple of light coats of Krylon Crystal Clear spray. I give them a light fog coat, wait just 1-2 minutes and spray on a second coat. On the second coat I try to get a wetted surface while avoiding any runs, just heavy enough to wet the area the decals were placed. Before spraying, I mask off each side of the decal area with paper and masking tape to keep the spray off of the accent warps and areas of the blanks not to be sprayed. This seems to work better for me than CP and it leaves a shiny surface ready of epoxy. Hopefully this will eliminate the fish eye problem for you.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 02:08PM

Put the decals on. Then use 1500 grit sand paper to do a light brush off on the decals. This will take care of your fish eye issue.

Take care

Date: April 16, 2015 06:52PM

Thanks for all of the replies. I will try the Krylon on the next rod. Roger; I had an extra decal, and tried scuffing it with some 3200 grit that I have. It cut right through the printing. am I missing something? I may just take this section back to the blank, and go up from there. I am still interested in learning how to use a hair dryer or heat gun and not have it blow stuff into the finish?

I really appreciate the replies. Believe me, I tried a lot of these methods before I came to the forum (including calling the decal company). I don't want to sound flippant in my replies, I appreciate each and every one of them.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 09:55PM

Mike,
Good thoughts.

With respect to the hair dryer or heat gun and stuff into the finish.

1. You need to do your very best to avoid having "stuff" in your finish room. If at all possible try to have all dust and other junk out of your finish room. If you do any sanding or other things in your finish room, open your windows and use fans or air compressors to blow all of the dust out of the room a couple of days before you go to do finish work.

2. Then, use a good room filter on high for a day, before using the room for finish work to circulate the room air and trap any dust in the room filter.

3. Then, before ever using a hair dryer or heat gun, use an air compressor or other source of air to really blow all of the junk out of the dryer or heat gun before ever using the tool to direct heated air to the finish on the blank.

Take care

Date: April 18, 2015 05:04PM

I have a couple of extra decals, and picked up a can of the krylon Acrylic Crystal clear. The instructions that come with these decals say to run a coat of epoxy and let it dry before applying the decal to the rod. I am wondering if this is necessary on blanks that have a gloss finish on them? I have some scrap blank material and am going to try it without the epoxy undercoat.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster