I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

crappie rod
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: April 14, 2015 05:27PM

I have had a request to build a crappie rod for a friend. He wants it to be an 8 footer for jig fishing. I would like to know what you all recommend. I am thinking about either a hot shot or steelhead blank. His request is that it has a sensitive tip but a solid butt.

Thanks,
Tom Kaufmann

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: crappie rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 05:32PM

A steel head rod is the perfect rod for this application.

Date: April 14, 2015 05:44PM

any in particular company that you would recommend as I have never had one in my hand.

Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.statefarm.com)
Date: April 14, 2015 06:04PM

THE RAINSHADOW LINE FOR STEELHEAD BLANKS ARE AWESOME WITH AN AFFORDABLE PRICE POINT. CLICK ON UTMOSTENTERPRISES ON THE LEFT. LOOK AT THE RX7 or RX8 line...

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 06:20PM

Just to offer a different opinion....keeping in mind I love hot shot blanks. I think a hot shot blank is best used where you detect a bite by "seeing" it. I think the stiffer tip of a spin/jig blank is better if you want to "feel" the bite. Finding an eight foot spin/jig might prove impossible though. Your friend might be totally okay relying on visual clues (not to say you can't feel a bite with a hot shot blank), so that needs to be factored in.

For a few year period in my life (in the 70's) I was into crappie fishing. I used a shimano bantam with a 7' fenwick blank. Lure of choice was an 1/8 ounce home made jig, plastic curly tail, coupled with a clip on spinner blade....think bettle spin but with curly tail. Worked well in Tenn. deep water reservoirs. In other types of waters live bait and visual detection ruled.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 06:46PM

I would go for a 5/6 wt. fly rod blank. Have made a number of them and the were well liked.

Date: April 14, 2015 09:18PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will give him some options and see what direction that he may like to go.
Thanks again,
Tom

Posted by: Mark Vanderhoof (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2015 09:37PM

I'm building a 9' bobber rod for crappie fishing right now. I'm using a rainshadaow RX7 9' 4wt fly blank. Love the action of the blank. I think it will be perfect for crappies. Good Luck.

Posted by: Ricky Fleming (---.textron.com)
Date: April 15, 2015 12:51PM

I build lots of 8' and 9' crappie rods in 5wt. on the rainshadow and rainforest blanks

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 15, 2015 02:35PM

here is the website: www.rainshadowrodblanks.com If you have any questions, you can call any of our retailers as well as our office. We will be happy to help answer your questions.

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 04:10PM

1084 salmon/steelhead blanks work very well...9 ft though....my favorite.

Date: April 15, 2015 06:36PM

thanks again for all of the help.

Tom

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 01:05AM

Steelhead blanks can work, I'd go lighter though. Softer, faster tip with backbone, the Rainshadow IST993, Pac Bay also makes one. The MHX HS 9600 in one or two piece if you still find one, the tip on the HS 9600 is the lightest of any hotshot blank I've ever used.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2015 01:19AM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster