I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken rod options
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 03:47PM

I have a rod that is broken 18" from the tip. I do not have the piece that was broken off. It was a 7 Ft. 6 in. Spinning rod and now it is 6 Ft. Long. I have stripped the entire rod (reel seat, butt and fore grip, guides, and finish.) Is there any way to add an 18 " piece to the rod successfully or should I just rebuild it as a 6' rod?

Thanks,
Jon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken rod options
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 04:17PM

The rod will be totally different from the original. Much stiffer and less forgiving. It just depend on what you want to use it for. If you can find a tip somewhere that will nearly match the broken tip, it can be added to the butt section.. Either with a sleeve or spigot.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 14, 2015 04:26PM

There are various heroic efforts you can make to restore it, but nearly all will require a level of work and precision that sometimes it's just time to let the thing go and build a new rod.

Posted by: David Gaestel (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 05:07PM

I would make a 6 foot rod and go with "I meant to do that". Besides the practice would be invaluable!

David A. Gaestel

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 05:36PM

David,
I would not rebuild it as a 6 foot rod. Rather, I would find a piece of blank that matched the previous tip section and glue it to the current rod.

If you found the right section - i.e. another blank, or another rod that is no longer being used - you could make the extension about 24 inches long and then the size would be right so that you could just slip it over the existing blank.

Then, either have a 2-piece rod - with one piece at 8 foot and the other piece at 2 feet. Or, you could glue the two pieces together for a one piece 8 foot rod.

The problem with taking the existing blank and turning it into a 6 foot rod, is that it is likely that there is very little - give - in the remaining part of the blank. If the rod had been a medium light, it would likely turn it into an extra heavy slow rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 06:06PM

kind of what I thought guys. It was already a mh, so I think it now will be a slow heavy action rod that I will build out as a bottom/drift salt water fishing rod.

thanks for the input!

Posted by: Jim Howell (---.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: April 14, 2015 10:31PM

I had a 7ft 3 inch high mod mhx that I just broke four inches off swinging a bass over. {dumb thing to do} Put a tip on it and since it was a very fast action rod it had no more action. Only thing it would be good for now is playing pool with it. Unless that rod has sentimental value I would use it for making a rod reamer! yes I know I might have got it covered under warranty but I will not do if its something dumb I did!

Posted by: Jim Howell (---.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: April 14, 2015 10:31PM

I had a 7ft 3 inch high mod mhx that I just broke four inches off swinging a bass over. {dumb thing to do} Put a tip on it and since it was a very fast action rod it had no more action. Only thing it would be good for now is playing pool with it. Unless that rod has sentimental value I would use it for making a rod reamer! yes I know I might have got it covered under warranty but I will not do if its something dumb I did!

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 02:30AM

haha Jim,

I was going to say reamer time myself. Your never gonna make that rod what it used to be. Time for the scrap pile until it can be usefull once again. Good for reamers, test wraps, ect.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-148.myvzw.com)
Date: April 15, 2015 04:11AM

Jon,

I've done several repairs, like Roger has outlined. Each one has been a fiberglass tip section, slipped over a graphite butt. The female end of the fiberglass tip is beveled, first, so the thread can wrap up it from the graphite rod after glue up. I used rod bond to secure the new tip sections on, wrapped them, and then finished them.

Each time I was also able to position a guide on the new "ferrule". All of these rods are still in service, with the oldest being over 15 years old.

It is great practice for rod repairs, and an easy way to save a favored rod. Just make sure you remove all of the damage, on your original rod section, before securing a new tip over it.

Take care,

Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster