I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RodGeeks surf blanks
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 10:59AM

Has any one used a rodgeeks surf blank Looking at a 2 piece for 6 - 8 oz How are they Is the lure weight on the money - underrated ??
Will a microwave set up hold up How is the paint Nice colors

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 11:00AM by bill boettcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RodGeeks surf blanks
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: April 14, 2015 11:31AM

Bill,

You're about 1/2 hour from Billy V's right? Why don't you stop by and check them out, he has a few in stock in a couple different colors. You can feel them for yourself and decide if they are what you're looking for.

Date: April 14, 2015 12:03PM

Would love to Just don't think the 25 year old car would make it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 02:42PM

Sorry about finger check.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 09:56PM by Capt Neil Faulkner.

Date: April 14, 2015 02:42PM

Sorry guys, a good idea just went too far with the info.

Neil

Capt Neil Faulkner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 09:57PM by Capt Neil Faulkner.

Date: April 14, 2015 03:00PM

Thanks Capt Neil Will do I here they are st croix's but wonder what st croixs they are

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 14, 2015 04:03PM

Hi Bill,

The RODgeeks blanks are designed by the St Croix designer but to specs desired by the RODgeeks people. I am very happy with the tog stick I made last Fall. Just finished an S Glass porgy/fluke/sea bass rod that I can't wait to use. Have a couple more I want to build for myself to use this Summer/Fall. Love the colors and color combinations.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Scott Gamble (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: April 15, 2015 01:05AM

I have the SRF12 RODgeeks blank done in a two tone, its not really 12ft by the time you slide the two pce's together, it is a lot heavier than what your looking at but am pleased with it and the finish on it is very nice, I have no problem with it living up to the blanks specifications and then some.

SG Custom Rods
Australia

Date: April 15, 2015 08:15AM

Scott

How did it handle the lure it was rated for I mean if rated for up to 6 oz does it handle the 6 or does it have trouble with it If underrated the 4 oz may be able to handle the 6 ??

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 11:01AM

Capt.Neil Which blank did you use for your Tog Stick?

Capt Neil Faulkner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Bill,
>
> The RODgeeks blanks are designed by the St Croix
> designer but to specs desired by the RODgeeks
> people. I am very happy with the tog stick I made
> last Fall. Just finished an S Glass
> porgy/fluke/sea bass rod that I can't wait to use.
> Have a couple more I want to build for myself to
> use this Summer/Fall. Love the colors and color
> combinations.

Date: April 15, 2015 02:17PM

Hi Barry,

I built on a prototype Mojo Muskie blank, 950MM72MHF.

In the present catalog it is the MKY72MHF, 7'2", 30-65#, 3/4-3oz. It is a Carbon 2 series blank.

I never fished a musky rod so I was interested especially since the blank only weighed 4+ ounces, very light. It handles 6-9 oz. sinkers easily.

Just before tog season ended i was on a party boat deep in the Sound east of New Haven. Neat the end of the day we made a drop in approx 100' depth. So I took down this rod, baited up and was ready for the bite. I found the sensitivity to be very good. Knew a tog was very close and fortunately set the hook at the right moment. The blank does not have a soft tip and I was able to get the tip up and prevent the tog from getting back into the wreck. Had the tog maybe 10 to 15' off the bottom and could not move it higher. So I let it go back down.. Could feel it swimming freely and knew my break away sinker loop worked.

Had to work hard to get the tog up the first time and I knew I had a very powerful fish on. Five more times I got the tog off the bottom to the same height but had to let it go back down. Each time I could feel the tog swimming freely. Finally the last time I let it go down it released the hook. I reeled in my line without any snagging. My line was fine and the hook shank had a wiggle in it.

What happened? I thought about that for a week and finally decided that my rig had gone thru a small hole in the wreck. That poor tog had to have a sore nose banging into the small hole.

The MoJo Musky blank did everything I wanted. It could move a powerful tog, very sensitive to anything near the hook, light weight so I could fish it all trip. A very pleasant experience. I look forward to using this rod in the Fall.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: April 15, 2015 03:53PM

Capt Neil

What ya do Bounce his noise Like punching him in the face

That sounds funny Poor Fish Must have been @#$%& !!!

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 15, 2015 04:16PM

Hi Bill,

I think so. After I figured out what I think happened I felt sorry for the poor tog. It fought like a big one, very powerful. Ha, ha, probably a 3 lber!

If I gotten that tog up and to the net and he was large I would have released it. But boy I sure enjoyed experiencing that togs power.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: April 15, 2015 06:01PM

If you ever catch him You will probably know buy The Fat Lip - LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster