I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Short rod for small trout stream
Posted by: Mike Hubbard (---.twmi.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2001 08:42PM

This is the first time I have seen this list. First , how do I register?

I just started building rods this year with some success. I would really like to build a short 4wt for a couple of really narrow trout streams I would like to fish this spring. My favorite brand of rod is St. Croix, but they don't make quite what I am looking for.

What I am looking for is a 6 foot 4wt travel rod. I'm really new to this, so I don't have a clue what rod blank to buy. I'm not real nuts about buying really expensive blanks. That's why I like St. Croix.

Sorry for all of the first timer questions, but I could also use a little help with guide selection. The last rod I built, I bought a set one foot Fuji guides with ceramic inserts. They're great guides... I guess. Other than these, all I have fished are wire snake guides.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
information
Posted by: Moderator #3 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 08, 2001 09:15PM

There is no need to register. Anyone may post as long as they use an actual name and valid email address. (Our scripts will automatically remove any that do not.)

The links on the left side of the page are direct to the various sponsors. Please also use the Search feaure of this site to find valuable information that has been posted in the past. Welcome aboard.

Re: information
Posted by: Mike B. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 08, 2001 09:43PM

I think Lamiglass makes some short multi-piece rods in the range you are looking for. How many pieces do you want?

Posted by: Rolly (24.112.158.---)
Date: November 08, 2001 10:15PM

St croix makes a 6'6" 3piece in SC111 that may do the trick for you.
3ft664

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 08, 2001 10:48PM

Lamiglas makes a 3pc. pack rod email Todd at Lamiglas
todd@lamiglas.com
Good luck Bob

Posted by: ipoppa33 (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: November 08, 2001 11:22PM

try going here, they are having a sale. www.customtackle.com

2001 G*Loomis GL3, 4 piece and 3 piece, travel Fly Blanks. Here is a listing of models that we are offering at 50% Off the prices on our web-site.

Posted by: Jeff Connelly (---.sttl.uswest.net)
Date: November 09, 2001 02:25AM

Mike,
I recommend a 3F603 St. Croix (6 foot)...it's a 3 wt not a 4wt, but perfect for smaller steams and creeks. Heck, it's even good for larger water where you want to work small areas.

I speak of this rod rather prematurely actually -- I am in the process of building this particular rod right now (7' 3wt.). But I have cast it in the back yard with all the guides in place and can tell you that this blank is outstanding. -- Moderate action, high modulas, and sensitive tip.

If you like St Croix already and are looking for a small to medium stream trout rod you could not go wrong by choosing the 3F603.

-Jeff

Posted by: Wes (---.worldaccessnet.com)
Date: November 09, 2001 01:22PM

If you want the ultimate in travel blanks, Lamiglas makes the 6'6" 3 wt. fiberglass fly blank in a 6 or 9 piece as well as their 2 and 3 piece.
Wes

Posted by: John Bumstead (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: November 09, 2001 03:35PM

There has also been at least one article in The RodCrafters Journal on a five foot fly rod. John

short rods
Posted by: Thomas Drury (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2001 10:44PM

Mike,
Everyone of the post you will find correct. Each person has there own idea of how to fish small streams. I live in western North Carolina and fish many small streams.
My first choice is the 6'6" 3wt fiberglass from Lamaglass but I have a few streams that this does not seem to work. I purchased 3 rods all 5ft made by rainshadow and got them from Custom Tackle. I bought a 2wt, 3wt and a 4wt. My choice is the 3wt with 4wt wf line. I use this line since most of my cast are under 12 ft. This way the rod loads great and the rod was never made to cast 30 plus feet.
All of the Rainshadow blanks that I have tried have worked ou well.
Tom Drury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster