I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First build. Issues with finishing guides.
Posted by: Andrew Clark (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 31, 2015 11:15PM

Just epoxied my guides. On a couple guides, the little fuzzy where I cut the thread after wrapping is sticking up. Dumb move. I know. Can I file it or sand it down and apply another coat when it dries?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First build. Issues with finishing guides.
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2015 11:29PM

Yes
let it dry at least overnight Hit the spots with 320 - 400 dry Then just another coat of finish

if you are using High Build I would suggest either thinn it or use a light Two coats

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 31, 2015 11:30PM

I used threadmaster light build. Glad I did lol.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2015 11:49PM

Andrew Allow to cure over night. Then just take razor blade n re-cut the little tit that will be sticking up after it has cured. cut flush with rest of epoxy then re-coat. No need to sand anything

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 31, 2015 11:53PM

Do what Steve said. No need to sand. Just make sure your blade is new. Best blades I've ever used are the Persona brand that can be purchased at beauty supply stores. They're the sharpest I've ever run across.

Lance

Date: April 01, 2015 12:08AM

Sounds good. Thanks for the help everyone. Will the second coat make the guides stick out a whole lot compared to the others? I guess I don't have much of a choice though.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 01, 2015 07:37AM

If the fuzzy is really fuzzy, and has no finish on it, you may not be able to cut it until it has finish on it. If it is really fuzzy and has no structure, put a drop of finish on it to make it rigid. I cut rough spots, usually caused by a thread nib, or a piece of dust, all the time. Then refinish with a light coat and I don't think you will be able to see the problem any more.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2015 06:15PM

The next time you wrap (I know it is a little late for this build) instead of pulling the tag end of the thread through, pull it up snug to the wrap, cut off the excess with a sharp pair of scissors, anchor it with your finger or thumb, then pull your loop at about a 30 degree angle. If you allowed at least 10 wraps of thread after placing your tie off loop, you will never again have nubs to worry about.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2015 06:54PM

Randolph;
good tip I will give it a try
THANK YOU!

Date: April 01, 2015 07:55PM

The replaced guides with the new finish will probably look better Why not just clear all of them The rod will look a l;ot better

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 05, 2015 10:46PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The replaced guides with the new finish will
> probably look better Why not just clear all of
> them The rod will look a l;ot better

I'm afraid to go that route. I feel I could do more damage than good. How would you go about it though? Take a razor blade to the guide foot then use a heat gun to melt the epoxy off?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 06, 2015 03:21AM

Hello Andrew.

I would heat them first then cut at the foot, they should peel off pretty easily.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 07, 2015 03:36PM

Wait

If you are not replacing ALL the guides do not cut the rest off Just hit them with a scoth pad gray and finish with a thin coat It will give them a new looking shine

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster