I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

coloring grips made with graphite/fiberglass sleeves
Posted by: Rex Mason (---.sangtx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2015 09:11AM

I have just started making carbon graphite handles; none in use yet.

So far I have only used the carbon graphite sleeve. I bought everything I have used so far from Riley rods. I followed Mike's u-tube video and written instructions for putting the handles together.

I have not been able to get Riley rods to answer these questions; maybe I asked for too much at one time.
1.) what sleeve does Riley Rods use to get the uniform jagged colors on some of their handles?
1a.) am I correct in assuming that one type of material absorbs color while the other does not?

2.) What type of sleeve material will give the best uniform base color to allow marbleizing? I would like to make a light colored handle that will still show the weave pattern after the light colored base coat is applied; maybe this is not possible?

3.) The epoxy I received from Riley Rods for handle construction gives the most air bubble free epoxy I have found so far. Has anyone had good luck with using this epoxy for rod wrapping?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coloring grips made with graphite/fiberglass sleeves
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2015 09:16AM

These questions were all answered in the original article on the process found in the Volume 10 #6 issue of RodMaker Magazine.

The colored sleeves are fiberglass and/or kevlar. They do not absorb color. If you want to paint/color the grip, you apply a pigment to your top coating finish.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 31, 2015 11:54AM

The epoxy used for the grips is not suitable for wraps as it cures much more brittle the the wrap specific epoxy.

To my knowledge the only light colored fiber sleeving is the white fiberglass that Riley has.

I have gotten some very nice coloring effects using the black carbon fiber and the spraying Testors "transparent colors" on the first coat of epoxy, then applying the subsequent coats over it. Obviously I do not use the shrink film method of finishing the grips.

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: March 31, 2015 05:26PM

Rex - Some of the photo's on Riley's website are pre-dyed glass/carbon.
Use of the natural glass/carbon weave (Riley's "Mybrid" sleeve) allows you the option of painting the core after it's been sealed, and that color will show through only the glass strands when you wet-out the sleeve. I do a lot of those. Alternatively, if you want to marble over a uniform base that is not carbon, you can use the all fiberglass sleeve, and either paint the core before wetout, or use powder pigment in your epoxy during wetout. Or simply paint as Phil mentions. I think Mike makes his all-white grips by using a cream core or painting core white, and using a white liquid epoxy tint during wetout. I've marbled a few over carbon after the wetout had cured and I sanded it down a bit (sand wetout coat, apply a thin coat of epoxy, apply marble pigment), but I'm not crazy about the results. unless you are willing to sand again and risk ruining your marble, it leaves the grip lumpy, and I always felt like I needed to add yet another layer of epoxy to help smooth. I prefer to keep the epoxy thin, and use Mr. Kirkman's permagloss technique to finish.

Posted by: Frank McKinney (---.sub-70-196-3.myvzw.com)
Date: April 07, 2015 07:28PM

Tom could you email the article from Volume 10 #6 issue of Rod Maker Magazine. I was not receiving the magazine when that issue was released.

Thanks
Frank

Posted by: Frank McKinney (---.sub-70-196-3.myvzw.com)
Date: April 07, 2015 07:38PM

Tom never mind I realized I could go to Rod Maker Magazine site and order that issue so I did but thanks anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster