I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PacBay Quickline versus Rainshadow Eternity
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2015 07:12PM

As a result of learning about the great deal Pac Bay is offering on their Quickline series of rod blanks, I may be interested in purchasing one of the blanks to build a drop shot bass rod in the future. I've heard and read good things about the Eternity series from Rainshadow, but not much about the Pac Bay Quickline series.

I'd love to hear impressions from those that have experience with either series of blanks. Or even better, both series of blanks.

The blanks I'd probably be interested in are .... from the Quickline series ... the QLSJ782 and from the Rainshadow Eternity series ... the ETES68ML.

I'd be pairing the rod with a Shimano Saros FA 3000 spinning reel, and 8# Seaguar Tatsu fluorocarbon line.

Any information others can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PacBay Quickline versus Rainshadow Eternity
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 29, 2015 12:42AM

Try a search of Marc Marrone for info on the Quickie gear rod blanks.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: March 29, 2015 02:29AM

I build the Erternity ETES68ML, extra fast action, soft tip, very quick recovery, very Nice blank.
Excellent drop shot rod.

Date: March 29, 2015 04:34PM

Spencer and Eric, thanks for your responses. Spencer, I did a search like you suggested. I didn't really come up with much.

Eric, thanks for the small review. I had read some positive things about the Eternity series from some members that attended the ICRBE recently. I can't say I'm a fan of a blue blank, but if the blank is that good, I could get used to it. lol

Thanks again guys.

Still hoping for more responses from others that may want to share their opinions.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2015 04:37PM

My money would be on the Batson blanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2015 08:36PM

David;
from someone who played with those blanks at the show and who has built on the Eternity blanks, (how ever not yet the model you are asking about)
I only have one comment

THEY ARE THAT GOOD!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 08:36PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 29, 2015 08:58PM

Marc said the QLSJ782 was incredibly light and crisp, the best he had ever had in his hand. He also has liked the QLMB 904 and the QLP 843 & 4. I see what you mean nothing comes up under his name in the author box, but there he is when you search under " quickline ".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 09:04PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2015 01:02AM

yer gonna have to do one of each... :)

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: March 30, 2015 01:17AM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eric, thanks for the small review. I had read some
> positive things about the Eternity series from
> some members that attended the ICRBE recently. I
> can't say I'm a fan of a blue blank, but if the
> blank is that good, I could get used to it. lol
>
Not a fan too so I stripped The Blue paint upside stripped guide [www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 01:19AM by Eric MONTACLAIR.

Date: March 30, 2015 08:44AM

Bill, thanks for your response. I've read a lot of good things about the Rainshadow blanks.

Steve, I was actually referencing you when I mentioned reading something a member said about the Eternity blanks they had seen at the expo. I know you were thoroughly impressed with them. And reading that peaked my interest in them even more. Thanks for the reinforcement, and your response.

Spencer, thanks for posting again. And yeah, I did the search you suggested and then did a search on Quickline blanks.

Eric Z ... lol it would be nice to build on both of them, but when I build this drop shot rod it is going to be a high end build. Titanium frame guides, with either Alconite or Torzite rings. The whole nine yards. That's why I'll be building it in the future. I have a couple of other rods I want to build before hand, so I can get my technique down a bit better. I just figured if the Quickline blank was on par with the Eternity, I'd buy the blank now at such a great price, and put it in the corner for a bit.

Eric M ........ how tough was it to strip the blank? And if I may ..... what did you use to strip it? I stripped a brown finish off an old Shimano blank I had by using a 3M pad. It worked pretty well, and didn't appear to damage the rod. Also something I'm wondering.... what affect would stripping the finish off the blank have on the warranty? I'm thinking it would no doubts void it?

Thank you to everyone for their responses. They are very much appreciated.

Posted by: Kevin Matthews (199.233.246.---)
Date: March 30, 2015 03:06PM

The quicklines are good stuff. Good glossy finisha nd straight.

Date: March 30, 2015 04:04PM

That was not realy easy as the paint is hard and a little thick.
I use à razor blade at 90° and use it as a scrapper.
You need caution and some time.
But result is fine.

I think warranty is lost (but it's a rod for me).

Note that by only stripping finish to first guide (from tip to stripper) blank loose 10% of his weight ;-)

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 31, 2015 03:59PM

Here is an outside review. He has had almost everything.

[forums.tackletour.com]

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster