I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

butt wrap tool
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 28, 2015 07:02PM

has anyone ever come across a butt wrap alignment tool?
Wondering if there is such a thing.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: butt wrap tool
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2015 07:30PM

There is but they typically don't work as well as you'd hope.

If you take two drafting circle templates and slide them both on the rod and then draw a line between the same axis, you will have a line along the same axis on the blank. Most builders find that it's just as easy, if not easier, to just eyeball things. You can use a straightedge once you get a few threads down on center to check your "eyeball" alignment.

Posted by: John Shear (199.19.250.---)
Date: March 30, 2015 05:15PM

Tom Kirkman is too modest to say he covers those in his awesome book. It's a must-read if you don't have it.
I made one and it worked ok, but I now do as others suggested and use the light reflection to line things up. I have a brightly lit (woodworking) shop so I get a bright, perfectly straight line of light down the axis of the rod.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: April 07, 2015 09:29AM

The problem with the light method is any change in orientation between the light, the rod, and your eye moves the reflection on the blank. This means each time you want to refer to this axis you must do three things 1) make sure the blank is returned to the same position under the light (usually not a problem if you're using a wrapper, just make sure the wrapper hasn't moved on your table/bench), 2) the rod must be rotated so the exact same axis is up (this means you need a reference mark, indexing headstock, or other method to verify the axis) and 3) you must move your point of view to the exact same axis and keep it there as you work (this is a skill that has to be learned with a bit of practice).

Does the above work? Yes. Is it easy for a beginner to do? It can be, but for the beginner it will take some practice.

If you take the time to 1) mark the blank with a scribe or ink in the wrap area and 2) place a reference mark just past each side of your wrap area, the marks will be there as you wrap and you won't have to go through the above steps each time you want to check your progress. As you fill in the wrap area and cover the marks you can use a straightedge set to span the reference marks atop the wrap to check the alignment of your thread crosses as you pack your threads. This gives you the freedom to move about as you work without having to constantly confirm the alignment of the light reflection.

Here's an image: [www.facebook.com]
Notice how the wrapper's point of view as they work is not in line with the reflection? The marks on the blank give the wrapper the freedom to turn the rod to face them instead of having to move their body to get the reflection to line up with their work.

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.125.---)
Date: April 08, 2015 05:33PM

John P
You are correct in that I use indexing marks at either wrap end to line up the reflection. Then I mark my cross points on the reflection. I don't attempt to use reflections for alignment while actually wrapping.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster