I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank colour
Posted by: Gord Stuart (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: March 27, 2015 07:48PM

I have a customer that has asked me to rebuild a 15' float rod and he wants me to sand the blank to its natural co
lor, if I do this is there anything I need to do to the blank to seal it or can I leave it bare ???
Thank you
gord

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank colour
Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: March 28, 2015 04:50AM

Gord,

Some people that have a sanded blank will apply a coat of wax.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Gord Stuart (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: March 28, 2015 08:11AM

Don is there a proper wax to use?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2015 12:55PM

I would not "sand" it back to its natural color. I would strip the paint off then if needed use a scotch bright pad to wet sand and of the stubborn areas.

If you use the search function and put in words to;tripping blanks or sanding banks or both you should get lots of useful info. I remove the paint off many blanks. But don't see a need to wax them afterwards.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: March 28, 2015 03:19PM

I was told by Lamiglas that it was not necessary to put anything on a sanded blank, but if I wanted I could apply carnuba wax. I was inquiring about graphite, not sure about glass. I wouldn't wax it before it was complete.

Date: March 28, 2015 04:54PM

Lynn Behler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was told by Lamiglas that it was not necessary to put anything on a sanded blank, but if I wanted I could apply carnuba wax.

The quality of Lamiglas rods may surpass that of other manufacturers. They have been in business for 50 or 60 years. They use the proper type and quantity of heat shrink necessary to ensure proper epoxy flow throughout the carbon fibers of the blank. This is not always the case with some manufacturers. Once I received a shipment of blanks (not Lamiglas) that had numerous pin holes in the finish. This indicated porous material under the finish.

While the statement may be accurate for Lamiglas blanks, it may or may not apply to blanks made by all manufacturers.

>I was inquiring about graphite, not sure about glass.

I am not sure either

>I wouldn't wax it before it was complete.

I wouldn't either.

Here's a point of interest (for some).

I have a friend who ocean fishes from a kayak. He accepts that guides will corrode. As such he buys less expensive guides and replaces them when needed. To make the guide replacement easier, he will build the rod, including tiptop, and then wax and buff the blank. He then wraps the guides over the waxed blank. I do not know the type of wax he uses or how tightly he wraps the guides. Obviously, over tight may crush the blank.

Don Becker

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2015 06:20PM

Also waxing with the wrong wax may just give you fisheyes unless using CP

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2015 05:10PM

Personally, I would not wax the blank before wrapping. To me that is just asking for a problem with the wraps and finish on them. To begin with there is not even a need for waxing. The blank is impregnated with resin and hardener that are impermeable to water. If you want to wax, after your wrapping and finish is fully cured, that is fine. You can also re-coat the blank before wrapping with something like Perma-gloss. A better option.

Date: March 29, 2015 08:41PM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Personally, I would not wax the blank before wrapping. To me that is just asking for a problem with the wraps and finish on them.

As I thought that I pointed out, it was a personal decision based on ease of future replacement of guides. Since my fishing conditions are not horribly adverse, I would not do it either.

> To begin with there is not even a need for waxing. The blank is impregnated with resin and hardener that are impermeable to water.

The presence of pinholes in the finish indicate the resin did not fully permeate the carbon fiber. I called the company that shipped me the blanks and was informed that they did not have sufficiently strong cellophane to do the job and had later ordered the proper materials. Simply stated, every manufacturer does not necessarily do the quality of work expected.

> If you want to wax, after your wrapping and finish is fully cured, that is fine.

>You can also re-coat the blank before wrapping with something like Perma-gloss. A better option.

Don

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster