I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat paint/ clear coat??
Posted by: Aron Shintaku (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 27, 2015 06:51PM

what clear coat is recommended for a painted reel seat? i've tried duplicolor clear but found that it melts when it comes in contact with soft plastics. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat paint/ clear coat??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2015 07:25PM

Normally the best paint to use with a clear coat is one of the same brand, as the colored paints that you are using to paint the reel.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2015 08:49PM

next time ask the maker of the seat what it was painted with
Then why did you clear it If unsure Ask
Sounds like the clear was put over some kind of Enamel It did not eat the seat - just ate the paint that the seat was painted with
You can save the seat buy washing the paint and clear of with lacquer thinner Lots of paper towels and scoff pads
I have painted blanks with there paints and then cleared with permagloss - You have to be fast with the permagloss it will take some of the paint off Very Hot

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Aron Shintaku (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 28, 2015 09:43AM

I used Duplicolor primer, paint and clear coat on a graphite reel seat. I might have to just take this as a lesson not to paint reel seats.

Date: March 28, 2015 09:53AM

They should work together Do it as per instructions

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-140.myvzw.com)
Date: March 28, 2015 04:17PM

Hi Aron,

I sounds like there is a little confusion here, with some of the replies.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you didn't have any problem with your paint application and the reel seat, until a soft plastic lure came into contact, and the chemical plastic softener melted the clear coat you had sprayed on? Is this right?

So what you're looking for is a different clear coat, compatible with your paint, that won't melt when in contact with soft plastic lures.

Do I have the scenario right?

Take care,

Chris

Date: March 28, 2015 06:32PM

My understanding is he used DupliColor Prime - paint - and clear to paint a reel seat Or did I miss something
But thinking all the same products from the same DupliColor should be compatable ?? Or were they used correctly Did he read the dirrections Did they dry comepletely
I have used there paint yet not all together Permagloss over paint Got a store open tomorrow If I have the time I will try to get primer and clear and try They do have several primers

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 29, 2015 03:25PM

The way I read it is Aron used duplicator clear coat over a painted reel seat and the clear coat melted when it came in contact with soft plastic lures. I think Aron is asking for a clear coat impervious to soft plastic solvents. I would try Krylon clear and test it on a piece of scrap material..

John

Date: March 29, 2015 03:50PM

he used DupliColor prime color and clear Which ones I have no idea There are several Maybe the wrong ones that did not work together And there is a certain way to lay products on If he never painted before he should have practiced on scrap
[www.duplicolor.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 29, 2015 05:16PM

Maybe we should let Aaron clarify. But Chris is right, what was originally stated was a problem with the clear coat.

Date: March 29, 2015 05:38PM

Read his post he painted a reel seat

what clear coat is recommended for a painted reel seat?

Or am I missing what I read

Aron
what did you do Now I GOT to know

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-140.myvzw.com)
Date: March 29, 2015 08:59PM

Aron,

Your email is hidden, so I will ask this here:

If you read this, please advise what type of Duplicolor you used, and how long you let the final coats dry before they came in contact with the soft plastics. There are coatings that you can use that are impervious to soft plastics, we just need to know a little more info to assist you.

Take care,

Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster