I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Where are the new Fuji Blanks?
Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2015 02:52AM

I understood that the new Fuji blanks would debut at the annual rod building show back in February.
Sometime later I read here that the blanks were shipping to dealers.
Since then there has been a thundering silence.
What happened? Where are the rave reviews and sales pitches? Where did these blank disappear to?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where are the new Fuji Blanks?
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 27, 2015 10:03AM

Garry the blanks did debut, have shipped and have even been reordered by many dealers. Our mission with POINT Blank was never to get out there and slug it out with our own customers (i.e. factories), it was to offer a premium quality blank for a relatively small market segment that is constantly in search of the best products available. We even discussed our planned niche with key customer to make sure we were not stepping on any toes. POINT Blank is alive and well with "rave" reviews from those who have built and/or fished it, but, like TORZITE® It's never going to be an "everyday" blank. You've got plenty of options there.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2015 11:32AM

Thanks, Jim.
Someone must have read my mind because this morning I received an e-flyer from Jann's with prices and a list of the new blanks.
I read your description of these new blanks with great interest, now I sure would like to read some reviews from builders.

Date: March 27, 2015 04:10PM

Not much mileage on the product yet, Garry, I'm sure something will pop up. By the way, these are not Fuji blanks. We have been the Fuji distributor for so many years that folks tend to assume everything we have is from Fuji. Certainly, our long relationship with Fuji has opened a lot of doors that we otherwise may not have known about and those opportunities may have led us in some ways to the maker of POINT Blank, but they are an Anglers Resource product. Hope you find time to try one, I hear they are really nice. ;)

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 27, 2015 07:35PM

Jim,
I know that this is a subjective question but how do you feel they compare the other "upper echelon" blanks out there? I.E. the HM's from Mr. Loomis, the SCv's, Hydra's, possibly the Quicklines and others?

My main interests are weight, and sensitivity(subjective at very best I know, as has been discussed at great length, too many variables.)

Thanks,
Tom

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2015 09:14PM

The butts do seem to be large ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2015 09:46PM

I just got one of these blanks - the PB661MLXF

I've not built it yet, but first impressions are:

extremely light yet stiff
wide diameter for much of blank, tapers quickly towards tip
very thin blank wall

It feels like it will be quite sensitive
I don't know how durable it will be - only fishing it will tell

It kind of reminds me of Shikari's high modulus blanks, which were great but brittle at times. Again, first impressions only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2015 09:47PM by Richard Glabach.

Date: March 28, 2015 12:21PM

Richard,

That sounds quite promising as the Shikari's were and still remain some of my most favorite blanks!! I only wish that I had bought more when I had the chance.

Date: March 30, 2015 06:07PM

POINT Blank has a 14.5 to 15mm butt. There are only two choices for butt strength...larger diameter or thicker wall. We opted for larger diameter because the popularity of split grips often puts a tiny little diameter between the rear grip and butt grip which often looks a little odd and, we felt, definitely feels odd. The diameter of the POINT Blank also continues unchanged up the blank for approximately 11 to 14 inches (depending on the model) allowing very simple handle installation with little or no tapered reaming required. (makes winding check selection a breeze!)

Yes, they are extremely light yet stiff...pretty much a universal characteristic of super hi-mod blanks. Great power is there along with unmatched sensitivity and the lowest overall weight you can find...but it all comes at a cost. This type of blank. like a high performance golf club shaft or a carbon fiber car body, is more fragile and less forgiving. The stiffness/weight relationship requires more precision to maximize performance but when the timing comes together it is a remarkable thing to have in your hand. It is different than what you are used to...relying on the speed of the forward cast rather the familiar loading done in a fast backcast. It takes a few minutes to figure it out but when you do it quickly becomes natural. You can't make an Ugly Stick weigh under 1.5 ounces (7ft medium action PB is 1.49oz), and any super hi-mod blank requires an added measure of care. If you high stick it it's likely to turn into a two piece rod but once you understand a few things and learn the power sections of the blank there are few fish you can't turn.

For example, two Saturdays ago I went to the mouth of Mobile Bay to look for trout...medium and medium light 6'9" and 7'0" POINT Blanks casting 1/4 oz grubs, small Mirrodines and Skitterwalks. Trout were unavailable, the wind laid down and next thing you know we are casting into schools of 30# bull redfish just off the beach (pics on our Facebook page). We were able to stop, turn, land and release 4 fish and no fight took longer than 10 -15 minutes. The reserve power of this type bank makes a two pound speckled trout great fun but you have so much more when you need it it's hard to believe.

If you haven't built a rod on this type of blank be ready for a change. And I must warn you, it is very difficult to go back.

Date: March 30, 2015 07:17PM

will have to give one a shot.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2015 08:45PM

Hi All, Just received a Point Blank flippin blank and after it came in I just was notified that Fuji introduced a new palming seat , a PLSSD-18 which is to be used as a flipping seat. So, I had to try my luck of getting a few of those too. The blank has a very dominant spine which I didnot expect to feel due to the write up of its construction. I know,I know... the spine has no effect on performance, but this blank has a very pronounced spine and I WILL build on the spine.
Its also thin walled and very light with a fast tip. A little too fast for my liking as a fippin stick, but the backbone of this blank starts one third from the tip and after that you can feel its power. It will be interesting to see how it fishes.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: March 31, 2015 12:18PM

We have discussed spine with the manufacturer and chosen to leave it alone. I build on the spine as well. Spine can be "camouflaged" in a thicker wall. Not so much in thinner walls.

Date: April 01, 2015 06:11PM

Dennis the PLSSD has been overshadowed by the TVS and PTS seats but it is GREAT for Flippin'. Check Mudhole and The Rod Room and maybe Swampland. I know Lance has some beautiful painted PTS and TVS but I'm not sure about the PLS

Date: April 01, 2015 08:03PM

Jim, VERSITEX is looking into it. Thanks, Dennis

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: April 02, 2015 05:54PM

Gonna be a nice set-up Dennis. If you like the reel seat let us know, like I said, it's getting lost in the shuffle but makes so much sense.

Date: April 03, 2015 01:15AM

Thanks Jim, I will. I've used a few of the early palming seats for salt water boat rods and because of the heavy'er application they fit well so, when I saw that a lighter smaller style was available I knew it was right for flippin. The longer trigger allows for better hand grip and position.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster