I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fading wraps
Posted by: David Bourque (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2015 02:14PM

I know there is a lot of information on older topics about fading wraps. I have not had a wrap job fade until I started make wraps with the metallic threads No CP. It was a Pro Wrap Electric blue. Looks bad only after about 9 months. Is there any new information about how to prevent it or should I just stay away from metallic wraps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fading wraps
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 26, 2015 02:42PM

In every product I know of except maybe auto paint, blue seems to fade the fastest in sunlight. Metallic wraps, flags, signs. I'm sure others will chime in with recent experience with metallic wraps of other colors; I think you've probably seen the old posts on metallic wrap fading, especially blue.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: March 26, 2015 03:47PM

I've also had fading problems with Gudebrod blue metallic.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2015 04:06PM

I have used Gudebrod metallic thread since it first came out (many years ago). I always use CP, even over NCP thread, and have never had any fading, even on rods 30-40 years old.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2015 05:31PM

I also CP even matallics Just to make sure the color stays Builders have CPed there rods and used them fishing and have not had problems
Nothing wrong with CP just make sure it fills alongside the feet

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2015 10:19AM

David,

I built myself a St Croix SC IV Flipping Stick several years ago and wrapped it with ProWrap Dark Blue Metallic, (forget the exact color), but it faded to a light purple in less than a year. The only time the rod was ever in the sun was when I was fishing it.

I did not put CP on the threads and perhaps I should have. I was not aware that CP would slow down or eliminate the fading issue. I also saw on TV that the color blue absorbs more ultraviolet light waves than any other color.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: March 27, 2015 09:24PM

I know that the wraps I did with Gudebrod metallic that later faded were done without color preserver. The Clemmens catalog said it was not needed.

Date: March 28, 2015 08:59AM

I will be putting cp on all of the wraps in the future. I don't like the idea of wraps fading in less than a year..

Date: March 28, 2015 03:28PM

Sounds like a good time for a little testing. With all due respect if color preserver provides UV protection I will also always use it. Mr. Ruwe, what brand do you use?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2015 05:43PM

CP doesn't prevent fading. USing threads that dont' fade do

CP doesn't prevent fading. USing threads that dont' fade do

CP doesn't prevent fading. USing threads that dont' fade do. UV is stronger at teh Equator than it is at Santa Claus' house

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 05:46PM by Billy Vivona.

Date: March 28, 2015 06:40PM

Billy- if you can which colors would you stay away from? Or do you just tell the person the chance of fading is greater with the those particular colors.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2015 06:44PM

Seems to always be the blue -- don't use it from now on
Just reminds me Got some red whit and blue to do Got to remember no blue metallic

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 28, 2015 07:33PM

Billy V. You made my day!

Date: March 28, 2015 11:26PM

Dave, different brands, different colors do different things. It used to be Gudebrod Purple that faded quick. Also the epoxy you use, if it turns yellow you might find teh colors changed, but in actuality it's just the epoxy not the thread. It's like unwrapping an Xmas gift when you get a guide to repair and cut teh epoxy off and teh green metallic is actually blue, or gold is actually silver.

I've had people who surf fish at night tell me xyz epoxy doesn't yellow, meanwhile I'll have test pieces that prove otherwise that were sitting in teh sun for a couple of weeks. It really does pay to do your own testing, in teh environment that you use the rods in to learn all this stuff, and it takes a while to figure it out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster