I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1st rod, 1st questions
Posted by: John Tallyn (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2015 04:24PM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John, yes you have to cut the bands off. Wrap
> halfway up the guide foot, until it is anchored in
> place then cut the band. I prefer the green pin
> stripe tape, it can just be lifted off and used
> again for the next guide. I only tape one guide
> on at a time. The pin stripe tape is available in
> both 1/4 & 1/8" rolls. I mount an old reel foot
> in the reel seat and put a line level on it to
> perfectly align the first guide from the reel
> seat. I visually align all the other guides from
> this one. The level just rests in the frame where
> it attaches to the reel. Has worked well for me
> for over 40 years.

Like the idea of the line level, will definately try that.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2015 05:49PM

To make it simple

I may start with a spacing chart put the guides on with some kind of rubber bands Static test When i like and am satisfied Measure from tip to butt Wright this down in cast when wrapping any guides move
Wrap from tip to butt This way trying to keep the wraps as small as possible but as I go down the rod check and make wraps longer Just for Looks
As wrapping check the measurements In Case Any move Wrap up to the band Unless you want to glue after static testing Up to you As i go up to the band and some of the guide is covered with thread Cut the band off Finish wrapping

Very simple Also as wrapping try to keep the guide in aliainment with the tip which is glued on and lines up with the seat and reel

As you do rods you will get your own way to do things

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2015 06:15PM

John, the line level epoxied on an old reel foot that Randolph mentioned works great. I discovered it by reading through old threads on this web site. It may have actually been in a post made by Randolph. If so ..... thank you for the great idea Randolph.

And John, I'm new to rod building myself. I actually have my first build turning on the dryer with my final finish coat as I type. I'm sure you've already seen how great this place is when it comes to newbies getting help from experienced builders. These guys are awesome and are very willing to help.

If you haven't been doing so already, I'd suggest doing searches of past threads to read more about some questions you may have. Just be sure to set the search parameters to "all dates". You'll get a ton of great ideas from those, that may lead to other questions you can start a thread about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2015 06:17PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2015 07:53PM

In contrast to the way that Randy works, I will take a batch of rods and tape all of the guides to all of the blanks before starting to do any wrapping.

That way one can go quickly from one rod to the next, and get the wrapping all done. Then, go back do the guide alignment and tip attachment.

I normally use 1/8th inch wide tape to secure the guides. However, if building small blank ice rods, I will use the tiny elastic that is used in the dental field to secure braces. The size that I use most are .1 inch in diameter. I will slip enough bands on the rod to take care of the small end guides and a couple of extra. That way if I have an issue with a band, I can roll a spare into place without having to cut off a guide.

As Randy said, I use a pair of very sharp pointed nippers to cut the bands after the guide is 1/2 wrapped. I find that the nippers work better than a razor and does not give any possible issues with nicking a wrapping thread.

Since this is one of your first rods, I also use sharp pointed slender fly tying scissors to trim my wrapping thread close to the wraps. I find that I can trim them just as close to the thread as with a razor, but have no issues in nicking a guide thread. It @#$%& to have a guide done, nick a wrap and have to redo the guide.

I learned this tip from a long term wrapper. I picked up a pair of very high quality scissors and still use the same pair today. I sharpen the scissors about once a year and they keep right on nipping.

It seemed that with a single edged razor, one would have to replace the razor about after every rod, because the thread cutting would dull the razor.

Be safe

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster