I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Needing help with Excise Tax
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2015 11:08AM

Hey guys so I am starting to try to get ready to file my taxes for the first time. I called my state Department of Revenue and was told that the excise tax only applied to vehicles. She said she had never heard of an excise tax on fishing rods. I felt like she did not know a lot to be honest though. Are some states not required to collect excise taxes? I was under the impression that it was a federal tax so everyone was required, I just wanted to make sure.

Also on the 720 form, do I just write in the amount of money I have collected for the tax in the 110# line? Also I have not been able to find a schedule for when exactly these are due. If anyone could help me with that as well I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Needing help with Excise Tax
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2015 11:10AM

The Excise tax on rods is a Federal tax, not a state tax. No wonder your state tax person had never heard of it.

See the article in the library here on excise taxes. They are filed and paid quarterly.

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: March 25, 2015 05:29PM

You will need a Federal EIN number in order to file a 720. Also read the 720 form instructions for 2015. This is a separate document. But the short answer to your question is yes the amount of tax you collected in the quarter. Enter the amount of excise tax you collected in box 110; box 2 (total); box 3; and I think box 10.

720 instruction states: Fishing rods and fishing poles (IRS No. 110). The tax on fishing rods and fishing poles (and component parts) taxed at a rate of 10% will have a maximum tax of $10 per article. The tax is paid by the manufacturer, producer, or importer. Add the tax on each sale during the quarter and enter the total on the line for IRS No. 110.

And you better dang well report a zero return each quarter if you had no sales.. They are proud to send you a nasty gram.

The State will be concerned about sales tax. I can file in Missouri annually but some states require you to file it monthly or quarterly.

Welcome to the world of paperwork.

Gabe Neal

Neal's Custom Rods

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2015 07:23PM

gee
i just feel like I talked to my accountant I count not understand him either LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2015 12:05AM

Thanks for all the replies guys this makes a lot more sense now!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster