I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Re-Build Old Sentimental Downrigging Rod
Posted by: Steve Lynas (65.92.79.---)
Date: March 25, 2015 04:50AM

After reading my question some might just wonder why I didn't just build a new rod, and perhaps I should have.

However, these rods have become very sentimental to their owner and quite frankly to me as we fish together quite often. So aside from some beat up guides and worn out handles these old fiberglass blanks still have an action that makes fishing 25 to 30lb Chinooks a hoot here on Lake Ontario.

Anyway.

To state the obvious for these downrigger type rods, the reel and guide placement is on the top, unlike a spinning rod or fly rod where the guides and reels are on the bottom. Determining any kind of spine has become very difficult. Years of sitting in a downrigger with a 12 to 15lb cannon ball forcing the rod into the classic downrigger rod curvature have created memory through the last 30% of the tip section. In other words this rod has an obvious permanent bend as you move towards the tip.

My Question Is:

I was thinking of placing the new guides and reel seat on the same side as this pronounced memory curvature. The idea being that with time in the downrigger the rods will have the same cannon ball forcing back the old memory curve. This migh just force the rod to create a memory towards the opposite direction. Essentially straightening it out a bit. I decided that I am not sure if this line of thinking is just plain stupid or not. That, maybe this idea might just wind up putting far too much stress on this old blank and the best coarse of action is to leave the curvature facing the cannon ball as it has done for so many years. Maybe this is the safest thing to do.

Any opinions are welcomed and I thank all those that submit one in advance.

Thanks
SAL's Custom Rods

Steve Lynas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Re-Build Old Sentimental Downrigging Rod
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 25, 2015 07:33AM

Steve, as to the spine, it's not an important factor.
Rebuild on the straightest axis. Consider a spiral rebuild.

What blank are you referring to? What were these built on? Fenwick 982s?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2015 05:14PM

You can flip it per your own idea. The only way not to stress a rod blank is not to flex it.

Posted by: Steve Lynas (65.92.79.---)
Date: March 26, 2015 04:14AM

Thanks Tom

I will proceed as I deem best then.

As to the manufacturer of the blank I do not really know. All I can say with confidence is that the blanks have stood up to some pretty spectaclular punishment over the years by both both the owner and his quarry. As a result the poles have become sentimental fixutres on his boat.

I have considered doing spiral wraps. But for me, until I have done at least one wrap for my own rod building knowledge I do not feel comfortable trying them out on fisherman here who are less in the know about their benefits. Plus in this build I am purposely trying to bring back an old favourite and make it familiar again, albeit with some upgrades in hardware though.

Steve

Steve Lynas

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 26, 2015 11:27AM

Since this rod will not be used for casting - either distance or accuracy - the spine and the set are cosmetic, not functional, and will only be noticed when the rod is not being used. I think a down rigger rod would look good bent in its customary direction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster