I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Number of Micro Guides
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2015 07:54PM

If you can Set up a casting rod with a spiral wrap
Let the owner hold it Run line and let him ( or her ) pick up a galon of milk and feel how the rod does not want to flip over

let him decide Or build him one and let him use it ( with a deposite )

Or
Just add as many as needed to keep the line off the rod

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 07:58PM by bill boettcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Robin Barnes (---.lightspeed.okcbok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2015 09:40PM

I agree with the adding of guides. They are not exactly large or heavy! So adding in my mind does not add a lot of weight!

Posted by: Robin Barnes (---.lightspeed.okcbok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2015 10:03PM

Steve I tried to email you, and it came back. What's your email?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2015 07:59AM

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 27, 2015 05:34PM

Spiral wraps are like heroin. Once you start you can't stop. Thats because they work on micro guides and micro guides, although uninentionally, were made to be spiral wrapped on casting rods. The reason that is: you don't have to use as many guides as on the bottom of the blank to keep it off the blank as you would on top; If you want to cast farther you have to keep the line off the blank; The smaller guides also keep the line more straight elimenating the line wave also letting the line cast farther. More guides make the rod more sensitive and distribute the power of the blank more efficient. So if you have to add more micro guides to the top of the blank to keep it off the blank you really aren't going to hurt anything. You just need to do a static test to determine the correct spacing to do this. The rod will cast the same distance if the guides are placed correctly on the blank either top or bottom (spiral wrap).

Posted by: sante morrone (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2015 03:29PM

you coudn,t of say it any better steve gardner all my casting rods are spiraled wrapped its an awkward feel to pick up traditional rod with guides on top , I wont use any thing other than a spiraled rod my self.

Sante Morrone
the fisherman

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster