I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trimming a blank right or wrong
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 22, 2015 02:33PM

I have a 7.0 Batson and I would like to trim it down to a 6.2 so is this to much of a trim to take off.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trimming a blank right or wrong
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2015 02:42PM

Not if it results in the length, action and power you are looking for. A 10" trim on a 7' blank is pretty significant, but if that is what you need to do to find the blank you need, then go for it. If you are just chopping the blank to get to a specific length, then starting with a 6'6" blank might be a better choice.

Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2015 03:02PM

10" a lot The power of the rod will be a HECK of a lot less taken from the butt

Put the rod aside and find one that fits your needs or with less trimming

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 22, 2015 03:28PM

Thanks guys I was kind of Lerry myself on trimming that much off a blank.

Glenn McMurrian

Date: March 22, 2015 03:31PM

batson makes good blanks it would be a shame to cut that one I am sure you can find one to fit What ever you are looking for - fish - lure weight
Just wondering
is that a bass blank ?

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 22, 2015 05:20PM

Ream the handle, slide it in place as if the blank was trimmed, and see how it feels. I have some blanks I cut a full foot off to get the feel I want.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Date: March 22, 2015 05:37PM

Marc

What were they before you cut and then what were they after Got to be a large difference in lure and action

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: March 22, 2015 06:34PM

Did anyone bother to call Batson?

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 22, 2015 06:34PM

Glenn,

If possible see if you can get a hold of a suitable 6 footer and do a short extension that can be easily hid by the handle or as previously suggested, trim a 6'6".

What action are you looking for in a 6.2? I've got a decent selection of Castaways left from Lance that may work for you. I've also got some 6 footers that are old All Stars that I got from Bingham.

Thanks,
Tom

Date: March 22, 2015 06:45PM

Batson has many 6'2 blanks
What are you looking for

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 22, 2015 09:39PM

Hey Bill - I have trimmed 6' Spin Jig blanks to 5' to make some short, lite rods with more back bone, and a lot of other mod's when needed. If you can't find what you want, some great truly custom rods can be made by trimming and custom tuning.

Agree - they do change a lot when you take that much off, but when I do that type of trimming I am usually trying to create some thing different.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2015 09:43PM by Marc Morrone.

Date: March 23, 2015 08:53AM

Marc

Do you CCS the blank before you cut to see what you might come out with

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 23, 2015 10:03AM

Glenn,

It can be somewhat instructive to actually mount the grips and reel seat in the location you want to try. If this is going to be for yourself and you don't mind if the rod breaks some day down the road, and you're happy with the power and action, then go ahead.

I would not however take this much off a rod for a customer. You will likely force the blank to flex in areas to an extent that the mfg hasn't engineered into the rod. I high stick by a customer would have a much greater chance of resulting in a failure.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2015 11:25AM

Glenn,
Depending on the blank, trimming the 6 inches to a foot off the blank, could give you the perfect blank that you need.

In many rod and blank designs, the tip and front section is essentially the same for an entire blank line up. Then, the difference between a 5,6 and 7 foot rod, is essentially that the butt section of the blank has simply been extended by the manufacturer.

This is very simple to check, if one gets a sample of each of the different blanks in the various lengths. Line up the tips of the rod, and then use a caliper to measure the diameter of each blank at the same station or distance from the tip on each blank.

If the diameters of the blank are identical starting from the tip and going toward the butt of the rod, this technique has been used by the manufacturer to achieve similar tip actions with different butt lengths.

If that is the case, one can pretty much trim as much as one wants off the butt of the rod blank and know that one will then essentially have the equivalent of the manufacturers same blank in the shorter length.

For rods that have a certain tip speed, or degree of tip movement for extreme light biting fish- I only trim from the tip of a blank with very great reluctance and with extreme care. Often, if one trims from the tip of this sort of soft tipped blank, the trimming of 1/4 inch off the tip can change the rod quite a bit.

So, if you want to trim the rod, then by all means trim the rod. But, just remember, that once you trim the blank, the change is permanent, no going back. So, if you want to trim from the butt, tape up the rods components with the grip and reel seat in the new position.

If you want to trim from the tip, just put a guide at that location and try fishing with the rod, with the guide at that position, before actually cutting the tip. By taping up the components in the newly desired position and actually using the rod with the components in that position, one will know if the planned blank changes will give the desired changes to the blank.

Any time that you trim - proceed cautiously - knowing that once cut, the change is permanent.

Good luck

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 23, 2015 12:12PM

Roger,

If he was to get all the different sizes to compare against each other, then he would not have to cut the blank in the first place. He could just select the 6' model.

After attending the St. Croix talk this year at the ICRBE, I don't think it's all that common for mfg to get two to three models from a single mandrel. Back in the day it probably was a more common practice as more of the blanks tended to be moderate actions and you could somewhat maintain the action by planned judicious trimming. Given blank technology has advanced light years since those days and mfg are pushing every blank to be the best they can be in a very competitive market with a very limited audience, I just don't think it's all that common a practice anymore.

Date: March 23, 2015 12:26PM

That does make sense !
just meassure twice and ( hopfuly ) cut once
Seems most are for marking and test casting

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2015 01:37PM

John,
I really completely agree with your statement.

Blanks with the appropriate length and action are generally readily available at any price point, so generally there is little reason to trim a blank.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster